TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rains Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 17th 2013, 06:58 PM

I'm not talking about months or a year , something like 5 years or so .
What do you thinks about age difference ? I'd like to hear your opinions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 17th 2013, 08:02 PM

I don't think it matters much to me; but people in relationships like that (say, a girl is 15 years old and a guy is 20) needs to understand why people would be against relationships like that and should do their best to prove those people wrong. Show them it's possible to be in a healthy relationship where both respect each other and are responsible.
Overall though, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, let them do what they want.

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 17th 2013, 08:16 PM

Age doesn't matter that much, as long as it's not like 20 yo to 40 yo, because that's just weird (but I know couples that had such an age gap, and they had happy life together). Listen to your heart, as long as you love each other, understand each other and simply want to be together, age won't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 19th 2013, 05:05 AM

Well, it certainly can. Primarily it depends on the age of the people in the relationship. For example, there's a far cry from a fifteen-year-old being with a twenty-year-old and a twenty-one-year-old being with a twenty-six-year-old. Even aside from the legal standpoint, there's a huge difference in maturity between a teenager and a young adult, whereas the older you get, the less of a maturity difference there is in a five-year gap, or sometimes in an even wider gap. It's about where you are at in life, more than the number.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 20th 2013, 02:12 AM

Age does matter. A lot. Not specifically the age itself, but the age reflects a level of maturity and wisdom. Since I am currently dating a 16 year old, and I'm 20, I can assure you that our maturity levels are quite different - I have experienced most of what teenagehood has to offer, and she has experienced very little - it results in a lot of clashing on many issues. That being said, we have a very healthy relationship and are very committed, and that's the main thing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rey

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 24th 2013, 05:59 AM

Yes and no. Maturity matters more. I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 21, and our maturity levels are fairly close. He's experienced more of 'adulthood' than I have, but it doesn't bother him that I'm not 100% on his level. (He actually gets kind of excited when he can 'help' me with things.)

Age matters more in a legal standpoint, because due to where we live, if I was, say 15, and he was 19, it wouldn't matter how mature I was, we couldn't have sex, or do most sexual things.

So age matters for this reason, but if sex isn't even on the table, it's more a maturity thing.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Does age difference matters in a relationship ? - September 24th 2013, 06:37 AM

I say no. However, like everyone has said, the maturity DOES matter.

What I wanna know is what people think of cougars.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

Closed Thread