TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Breakup? - March 11th 2014, 01:04 AM

So I've been in this long distance relationship with a guy I met at a camp for a while now. But he's just starting to get annoying and a little clingy and I just don't feel like I want to be with him, or really anyone, at the moment. So I talked to him about him being clingy and way too obsessed with me and he apologized but did not change anything. I get that you can't just change how you feel about someone, but he's just really not the right person.

So I wrote a whole breakup letter (we communicate all by email), asked my friend to read it, made sure I included everything. And... that was like three weeks ago. And it's still up on my google drive, not sent. Every time I think, "I'm going to send it today," it just doesn't happen. I can't find the courage to just send it. Every time, I tell myself I'll just wait one more day. I know this is just my choice, but does anyone have any advice? I really want to be done with him, but I can't bring myself to end it. Thanks

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Breakup? - March 12th 2014, 01:01 AM

I definitely think you should send it sooner than later. I know its hard because you know it's going to hurt him, but the longer you wait, the more it's going to affect him. It's better to be upfront and honest in any kind of relationship whether its romantic or platonic. If you don't want to be with him, then don't be. What's important is if you are happy. If you don't end this relationship which you know isn't going to last anyway, then you may be missing out on better opportunities.
So my best advice is to just press send. You know you'll have to do it eventually, so you should just go ahead and get it out of the way. You don't necessarily have to read his response anyway.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Breakup? - March 12th 2014, 09:54 PM

It's best to just do it, sooner rather than later because eventually you'll have to do it and it'll only get harder the longer you leave it and it's also fairer on the both of you to do it now rather than drag it out even longer.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryanviola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ryan Viola

Re: Breakup? - March 15th 2014, 01:06 PM

I think somewhere you still love him and that is the reason that holds you back sending a break up letter.

But if you really aren't happy with your relationship then just bring it to an end as atleast you can get rid of the things you are irritated about and you'll soon be back to a normal life as forgetting a person is not that easy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Breakup? - March 15th 2014, 10:19 PM

I FINALLY sent it and i'm not sorry i did at all, he took it much better than I expected. Thanks for the help guys

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Breakup? - March 17th 2014, 12:49 AM

Congratulations! I'm glad you experienced a positive outcome. =) I know breaking up with someone can be very unnerving, but now you've learned how to do it, and you're going to be that much stronger of a person as a result!

Since this issue has been resolved, I'm going to close your thread. Feel free to create a new thread if you need more support/advice, or feel free to PM a Moderator if you would like to have this thread re-opened!

Closed Thread