TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16

Borderline Girlfriend? - August 6th 2014, 02:14 PM

So I think my girlfriend might be borderline, but I don't know. In any case, how she acts sometimes is really damaging to our relationship and my psyche. I need advice on how to deal with this. I'll try to summarize what she does:

-Most of the time, she completely idealizes me. She thinks I'm the best, nicest person ever. Then sometimes she'll become very angry or upset, and she will criticize and insult me. There is never really any in between where she treats me normally.

-She is impulsive. She has ended friendships, left a job, and broken up with me on impulse (obviously we got back together). She also used to shop impulsively. She has spent over $1000 on purses and has a closet full of them (literally).

-I've never seen her self-harm or threaten suicide, but I know in the past she almost committed suicide before someone talked her out of it. She did say that she might as well die if we broke up, but I'm not sure how serious she was.

-She often has mood swings. Also, any little thing can set her off. Like, if someone is rude to her, she will rant about it for hours or even days.

-She sometimes becomes paranoid to the point where she loses touch with reality. She once went into a rage and accused me of wanting to cheat on her with her sister even though I had absolutely no intention or desire to and was not flirting with her sister at all.

-She is extremely clingy, and she will often guilt trip me to try to get me to pay more attention to her. I do spent a lot a time with her already.

-She is always paranoid about me leaving her, and she often takes things I do as a sign that I don't love her even though I do.

I don't know how to talk to her about any of this stuff since usually our conversations on these issues turn into fights. I do love her and would like to stay with her, but it seems like her insecure belief that I don't want to be with her or really love her is making it difficult for me to see a future together with her (ironically). I've tried reassuring her a thousand times, tried to show her, but it does no good I guess. Every few weeks or so, something will happen (or sometimes out of the blue) where she becomes very upset or angry with me. I've tried being as nice as I possibly can to her and have the best of intentions.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Points: 9,356, Level: 14 Points: 9,356, Level: 14 Points: 9,356, Level: 14

Re: Borderline Girlfriend? - August 6th 2014, 03:28 PM

Maybe talk to her family to see if she can get help. There is obviously something going on that may be serious. She needs to realize that if she wants the relationship to work, she needs to listen to you. Her saying that she might as well die is not healthy in a relationship, and I'd advise you to be careful with what you do/say, especially since you don't know if she was serious or not. Consider having her see a counselor, if she's not willing to talk to you about these problems. In my opinion, when someone is clingy in a relationship, it means they have some sort of self-esteem issues. And if she wont see a counselor, maybe you should. I'm not saying you have any problems, but seeking professional advice on how to deal with this may be a good idea, if nothing else seems to work.

Hope this helps

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: Borderline Girlfriend? - August 7th 2014, 01:41 PM

I agree with Mads, maybe talk to some of her close friends and family about the way she acts around you. She seems very insecure for a reason and the impulsiveness(especially the shopping one) sounds like she's trying to cope with something serious whether it be overcoming suicidal thoughts or self-harm or something in the past. I would also recommend talking to a counselor about this too and seeing if they could help her in any way. From what you said, this doesn't sound like a healthy relationship and it could turn into something worse if stuff like this keeps going on. Be careful and definitely talk to someone about this who could also talk to her and help her overcome whatever it is that she is going through. Hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: Borderline Girlfriend? - September 7th 2014, 04:20 AM

As a random stranger on the internet, I obviously can't diagnose your girlfriend. But it sounds to me like she is borderline. All the things you described fit with BPD, and I've had a close friend who was borderline and acted in many of the same ways.

Talk to her. Don't confront her and ask, "are you borderline?" or anything like that. But be kind when you bring the subject up. Borderline or not, your girlfriend, DEFINITELY needs therapy, and you should encourage her to seek help. I hate to put it in such bleak terms, but if she refuses to get help, your relationship is basically doomed. I went through it with my former friend: our friendship was very unhealthy and I finally had to leave for my own sanity. I found out later that she has BPD, which explains the behaviors that pushed me away. As much as you love your girlfriend, she is not a healthy person for you to be around if she continues these behaviors and refuses to change.

I hope she gets help and things smooth out for you two. However, if it gets to the point where you need to leave, do so. If she causes more harm than good in your life, she is not a healthy person to be around, and you may need to leave for your own wellbeing.
Closed Thread