TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

My boyfriend and his stupid statuses on social media - February 7th 2015, 05:59 PM

Hey guys,

I really don't know what to do. My boyfriend posts some inappropriate things on social media. Say for example he is watching the football and a particular player fouls another he will make some kind of racial comment. I've told him about it before and how much it bothers me and he still continues to do it. It makes him look like an idiot! It makes me look stupid. He's a grown man, he should know better. With my boyfriend it is more ignorance than racisim, but that's still no excuse. He's mother is very racist, I had an debate with her once she made some kind of comment about "foreigners" and I retailated by saying "Well if you want to be honest I'm a foreigner" and said that I'm british and not english and she didn't like that too much. Her stupidity and narrow-mindedness has rubbed off on him.
It's embarrassing to have people see those statuses, he has no thought whatsoever. My mum just saw it and made a comment about it, and you know what I don't blame her. I just find myself getting increasingly aggitated with this behaviour, what can I say or do to make him stop embarrassing me like this and making himself look like an uneducated dick.

Thanks guys.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: My boyfriend and his stupid statuses on social media - February 10th 2015, 11:05 AM

When people are set in their ways it can be really difficult to change that.

I think that talking about it and using yourself as an example, might help. However, it's up to your boyfriend whether or not he wants to listen and learn. Perhaps you could also remind him to be careful, in general, of what he posts online, as he may offend someone, get caught in trouble etc.

Even though you feel embarrassed about it, people shouldn't judge you based on your boyfriends actions, and if anyone does, you can just tell them that you don't support his behaviour.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: My boyfriend and his stupid statuses on social media - February 10th 2015, 12:39 PM

Hey there,

Well, as mentioned before, talking to him about it would be a good idea. However, you should be aware that he may not be willing to change. If he really does not see anything wrong with what he's doing, then he's probably not going to do anything about it.

But do remember to try and not mention his mother in your talk, because that might not go very well.
Closed Thread