TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachel

Points: 4,946, Level: 10 Points: 4,946, Level: 10 Points: 4,946, Level: 10

Question I need advise on how to act around dad's Girlfriend - June 30th 2015, 08:43 AM

I come from my dad's 2 marriage,my sister who is 21 came from the first marriage. My dad is verbally mean (well I don't know how to put but that) all of his wives have divorced him for this reason. By now my dad has had 3 wives. Now he is dating someone who is the same age as my sister and has the same birthday as me. I have interacted with all of his girlfriends but this one I have no idea how to do anything. Help me please anything is helpful.

Last edited by obelus; July 1st 2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Moving to Friends & Family. :)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Name: Michelle
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20

Re: I need advise on how to act around dad's Girlfriend - June 30th 2015, 06:46 PM

Try talking to her and seeing what her interests are. Maybe you 2 can find something in common and go from there. Could be music, movies, books, sports, etc.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: I need advise on how to act around dad's Girlfriend - June 30th 2015, 07:58 PM

Hey,

I can completely understand why this is awkward. The best thing you can do is remind yourself that this woman is someone who is important to your dad. The least you can do is give her a chance. Perhaps you could ask her if she'd like to go out to coffee or lunch so the two of you can get to know each other a little bit better. Find out about some of her interests and see if the two of you have any common ground. I know it's going to be tough for a while, but I'm sure both she and your dad will appreciate the effort.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I need advise on how to act around dad's Girlfriend - July 2nd 2015, 07:53 PM

Hey there,

I think that inviting her to coffee or something like that is a good idea. I think you should work on trying to identify common interests. This will help you work on building a relationship with her and make things less awkward. You could ask her what some of her favorite books, movies etc are. I am sure once you start trying to talk to her it will get easier. I know I had a hard time relating to one of my dad's interests because of the age. It felt really weird but I ended up trying to make an effort and it went well. This person and I still talk from time to time and it definitely isn't as awkward.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.
Closed Thread