TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   First girlfriend... Now what? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t142395-first-girlfriend-now-what/)

TheTameLion December 9th 2015 05:18 AM

First girlfriend... Now what?

So I worked with this girl for about a year, and we became friends in August and have hung out consistently since then. Today I asked her if she wanted to be dating, and she said yeah. She's never had a boyfriend... So, what now? We mostly would just play video games and watch netflix, do I just keep doing that? Do I hold hands? When? How does this change our relationship? I guess the question just goes back to.... what now? Never had a girlfriend or S.O

Age of Ignorance December 9th 2015 10:07 AM

Re: First girlfriend... Now what?

A relationship is what you two make of it, together.

You can go as fast or as slow as you like. You can merely enjoy each others' company. You can watch netflix, play video games, hold hands, kiss. The boundaries are literally what you make of your relationship together.

Talk about it with her. I am sure she has similar thoughts. I am sure she has an idea of what she wants to do, and the best thing you can do is continue communicating about what you both want to do together.

eaty December 10th 2015 12:03 AM

A relationship really is what you two make of it, just because you two are dating now doesn't mean you have to feel like you have to rush into doing things that feel like a relationship if you aren't ready. Do what you two feel comfortable with, keep just hanging out and playing video games and watching Netflix. But if you want to hold hands while walking somewhere together or while sitting next to each other? try it and see how it feels, if it feels awkward? it might at first until you two are more comfortable with it. It might take a few tries to figure out what works. If you want to cuddle while watching Netflix, do it. You two set the pace, and it will come naturally. I worried with my first relationship this same thing "Now what? What do I do? Will I mess up?" and it came really naturally actually, it can be awkward at times, and hopefully you two can laugh it off and make the best of it and work it out.

Talk to her, communication is the MOST important thing in a relationship. Especially early on, and especially when its your first relationship. Talk about what you two want to try, but never feel pressured like you HAVE to do something because you are dating now. Using the label of dating doesn't have to change anything if it doesn't feel right. Just have fun, do fun things and enjoy each other company most of all.

LifeTheRonWay December 10th 2015 11:31 PM

Just remember to ask her what she wants to do sometimes. Give her the controller to let her pick and play first =p

Communication and honesty. You will learn from each other.

-Ron