TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleRed0507 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,908, Level: 6 Points: 1,908, Level: 6 Points: 1,908, Level: 6

Exclamation Im 16 and my boyfriend is 18 - October 25th 2019, 12:48 AM

I'm 16 years old and live in the state of Georgia. Thought I should go ahead and mention what state I live in, just so I can get some legal advice hopefully.
I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 18. My parents used to like him but we had some problems (they're not important and don't affect whats going on now) and now they're threatening me by saying things like they're going to press charges on him for Statutory Rape... They can't do that can they? Me and him are 1 year, 9 months, and 18 days apart < yes i did the math. i turned 16 before he even turned 18 so there wasn't a time me and him weren't at a legal age right? I've done some research and know that the legal age of consent in the state of Georgia is 16 years of age. and there's some other things that i have read but i just want to make sure that my parents cant find a loophole of some sort to still get him in trouble. Also if my parents want to press charges does it matter? As long as i'm not pressing charges? Because i would be the "victim". Could i fight them in court if they really try to press charges? Please help. I'm stressed out and don't want the person i really care about to get in any type of trouble.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Im 16 and my boyfriend is 18 - October 26th 2019, 04:47 AM

Most states have a Romeo and Juliet law that allows people who are a few years apart in age to have sexual relationships. I thought we had an article about age of consent but I can't find it.

If the age of consent in Georgia is 16 than I don't think your parents could get him in trouble. However none of us here are legal professionals.

Your parents would also have to be able to prove you had sex. Those are the only time the age of consent matters. If they can't prove there's a sexual relationship not much would happen. Not sure if your parents have proof of anything like that.

From my understanding your parents could still press charges even if you didn't want to. Not sure how all of it works but I think that would come down to proof as well. If they had enough proof of a sexual relationship they wouldn't need your cooperation.
Closed Thread