TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Piloto8000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - September 9th 2022, 01:55 PM

So I am a freshman and my whole class was at our library choosing books and this girl came and was looking for books beside me. she took a sidestep closer in my direction. I took a sidestep away trying to concentrate and to be polite. then she took another step and that is when we touched each other with our upper arm (keep in mind that I like her). I felt nervous and uncomfortable and moved away to another section of the library. the following days I caught her glancing over at me from the other side of the classroom a few times. does anyone think she likes me too? any advice?

Last edited by Piloto8000; September 9th 2022 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - September 9th 2022, 04:34 PM

It's possible that she was being friendly with you, or that she was flirting. It's hard to tell from something like this. I'm inclined to believe there was some type of motive behind it, whether friendly or flirting, because if she just wanted to look at more books she'd probably have politely asked you to step away and wouldn't have continued to come closer.
I would approach her about it and shoot your shot! There's nothing wrong with trying to enter a relationship with her as long as you are polite and are okay with taking no for an answer if she isn't actually interested. I'd approach her when she seems to be in a relatively good mood and in a more private area if possible, and let her know that you have noticed her for some time and would like to ask her out.
Alternatively, you can ask her directly what the actions she's taking means. Let her know that you noticed her looking at you and touched arms in the library. Ask her if she was being friendly or if she was flirting with you. Be direct with her about this and let her know that you aren't expecting anything from the conversation, but you just want to know what she means by these things so that you don't get the wrong idea.
I know it's scary to approach her about this, but at least then you will have a better idea of what is going on and there won't be any room for misinterpretation! It could be the start of something great, or you'll know that she doesn't like you like that and you can stay friends with her. It may be awkward for a little while after if that's the case, but I bet she'd come back around.

Best of luck!
Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,399, Level: 46 Points: 107,399, Level: 46 Points: 107,399, Level: 46

Re: A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - September 10th 2022, 02:02 PM

Hello

Sometimes it can be hard to see if someone is being friendly with us or they are just flirting with us. The best way to know about this is like what Dez is saying and that is to ask her about this. If you do not want to ask her in front of everyone else, that is totally fine and what you can do is pull her aside and ask her about this or see if she would like to come over to your house to work on homework and after a little bit you can ask her about this and see what she says back to you. You can always be her friend too and hang out with her and get to know her better. I wish you the best with this.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - September 10th 2022, 03:58 PM

I think the best thing you can do is talk to her about how she's interacting with you. Don't make any assumptions about these actions, in case they're purely accidental and she has no ulterior (flirty) motives. It can be scary going up to someone and asking them something like this; but who knows. Even if she says it was accidental or something, you could end up making a new friend.

Wishing you the best of luck!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16

Re: A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - September 12th 2022, 01:40 AM

Yeah, agreed talking to her about it. Maybe even ask her. You also could just have a new friend if nothing else! Good to have some friends in high school IMO! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
AlwaysGoing Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1

Re: A girl (14) rubbed her arm against my arm (14) briefly before I stepped away trying to be polite. Is this a sign that she likes me? - November 19th 2022, 06:41 PM

Sometimes people look at you because you look at them. They don't even know it's happening.

Just casually talk to her, about anything (better if it's funny). If there's something more it'll come out.
Closed Thread