TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 01:42 AM

So, I went out with this guy for the first time tonight. I thought we had a good time. We went bowling, then he bought me some ice cream. Then we went to a friends house to watch some hockey.

While we were there, I had my feet up on the couch and I accidently kicked him lol, but then he started trying to tickle me. And then somehow we ended up cuddling/holding hands. It just all semed completely natural, not awkward at all. It was strange in that way.

Neither of us really wanted to go, but he had to work at midnight. So he drove me home and dropped me off. I want to text him, but I want him to text me first haha. Should I just say 'have a good night at work' or should I just leave it for now and text him sometime tomorrow if he doesn't text me? I don't want to seem needy and clingy ..

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 01:46 AM

Yeah don't text him, when you're in the attraction stages of a relationship it is crucial that you do not come off as needy.

It's quite pathetic because eventually you can be who you are, but right now you have to be you but in small doses if you get me.

I'm glad you had a good night tonight and that should be the end of it, I'm sure he will text you and if you're asleep you'll get it in the morning. If he hasnt text you in the morning then you should tell him.

Just something friendly like

"Hey you, had fun last night, how did work go? x"

Short sweet and to the point.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 01:56 AM

I agree. You just said good-bye to him... don't make it seem like you need to have contact with him every couple of hours. Let him get through his shift (good Lord, a graveyard shift?!) without having to worry about a potentially clingy girlfriend. If he doesn't text you by tomorrow evening (chances are he'll be asleep in the morning/afternoon), then I think it would be safe to say something like "Hey! Hope things went well at work. I had a great time last night. =)"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 08:07 AM

Hey there,

I am glad you had a nice night. That is always a great thing.

I kind of agree with what the others are saying but I think you should give it more time. Have you ever heard of the three day rule? If not it is where the person waits three days and then if they don't receive a call or text from the other they call or text them.

Personally, I find this rule to be lame but most of my friend swear by it. They say if you wait the three days you never come off as desperate just interested. So, if you haven't texted him maybe you will consider this?

If not it really is no biggie, you kind of just have to live and learn and do what feels comfortable for YOU. Other people have their own rules/guidelines but in the end what feels comfortable for you is what is the best thing to do.

The more you date you will know what is best and whatever.

Don't stress, just enjoy life and everything that comes along with it and dating.

Best of luck,

Jenna

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Who Dares Wins Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 10:30 AM

Do not follow any rules in Dating. It is pathetic, and anyone who follows them is a complete and utter tool.

Simply because dating is situational, it depends on the person and it depends on loads of things. Aslong as you are not texting 24/7 or bugging them, you are fine.

Just do what some of the above posters have said because the advice was fine.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 01:37 PM

Thank you all for your advice (:

I didn't text him last night, I just went straight to bed and tried not to think about it. I woke up this morning to a text from him just when he was getting off work, so I guess I didn't need to worry about texting first ;P

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 02:36 PM

Here's some dating advice, never ever text! Texting is E-V-I-L!

Heh, but anyway.. Nat I'm glad you went on the first day with that guy, I'm happy for you! But do keep the texting to the minimum for the first few dates..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: should i text him? - May 13th 2010, 04:06 PM

Hey Natalie,

I am so happy that he texted you. That is awesome. I bet it made you feel really good

I agree that, at least when first starting out in a relationship, to keep texting too a minimum. That doesn't mean you shouldn't text him because texting is the BOMB but also try to call him or have him call you.

Usually what I do when it comes to friends and stuff is call them if it has to do with setting up a date or whatever and then I will text them if I am extremely busy and just kind of want them to know I am thinking of them.

Basically just have a balance.

However, let me stress that you need to do what you feel comfortable with. Dating is kind of 'difficult' and if you are not doing what is comfortable for you then it is going to become more 'difficult'.

Dating is something that can be fun so just go out there and enjoy yourself and let it all fall into place.

Closed Thread