TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

International Long-Distance Relationships - May 26th 2010, 05:50 PM

Right, so I'm in a long-distance relationship of one year with my boyfriend. I'm in the US and he's in England.

The phone bill was... ridiculous, put simply, for the month of April and the month of March. A combined 700.00. Granted there were valid reasons it was that high, but considering my phone bill should normally be around 70.00, you can imagine the toll it took on my bank account.

I'll be booking a ticket soon to see him in September, so will only have around 400.00 + whatever I earn with two summer tutoring jobs (brings in good money, but I'm not sure how often I'll be seeing each student, although I might also be seeing a third). I'm fairly covered for boyfriend's visit here - not in the clear, but fairly covered - but even then, I still need to budget for my phone bill, plus I'd like to come up with more cost effective ways in general.

We're going to start using Skype more often. He has it on his phone, so he can call my computer and I can also call him via Skype for free. Skype credit is also quite cheap and I can have a decent phone call for a decent amount. But I've also been wondering about calling cards? But I'm not even sure how those work, how cost effective they are or if they're worth it; I'll be checking into them via AT&T's website or speaking with a representative soon. We text, I have a package deal of 100 texts for 10.00 (no better plan ), and I budget 20.00 for an extra 100 every month, but again, I'll more than likely be using Skype to send SMS messages every now and again. We communicate through Facebook.

But does anyone else have any additional ideas? Has anyone else ever been in this situation, or one similar? How did you manage it? What did you and your partner do?

Thank everyone in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sirjan xerdaj Offline
Pinkly Smooth é.è
Average Joe

Name: Xerdaj Sirjan

Re: International Long-Distance Relationships - May 26th 2010, 06:37 PM

No matter what people say, I think Yahoo Messenger Calling feature works just the same as Skype. And it's free. Ummm...could you see if you can get unlimited texting for $20? Just in case.

[X E R D A J] ~Sessyrocks~
-=i wanna be your knight=-
  Send a message via AIM to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via MSN to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Yahoo to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Skype™ to sirjan xerdaj 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: International Long-Distance Relationships - May 26th 2010, 06:51 PM

I do have unlimited texting, but that 20.00 only covers costs across the US and does not include international texts; I believe the most it covers is his incoming texts (I still only get to send 100-200). I didn't think about Yahoo Messenger... I'll look into that, thank you, but it might be easier to stick to Skype since I'm not sure boyfriend even has YM. But I will look into it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ROFL COPTER Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: International Long-Distance Relationships - May 27th 2010, 04:15 AM

Just use ventrilo and teamspeak gaming voice software.

Both free and with teamspeak 3 you can download the client and your boyfriend the server. Talk completely free forever. No issues.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Re: International Long-Distance Relationships - May 27th 2010, 06:58 AM

Ha. I'll do one better.

Go to poketalk, from England, you can call America and Canada for a local rate. If he has minutes on his mobile, then he can use those to call you for practically free.

I don't know what the rates are compared to skype if he uses his landline, or isn't on pay monthly, but they are very cheap too.

I have also used calling cards too, they can save a lot of money, but that's primarily for when she needs to call me.

Also I have texted my friends in America and Canada through email, I don't know if your carrier provides it but for example if someones number was 123, and on virgin canada it would be 123@vmobile.ca and it counts as a local text and you can reply and everything using your unlimited texts...

Being in England is helpful, as they are one of the only countries that seems to have local access numbers, which means that if you do a quick search on the internet you can find numbers that he can call which connect directly to the service, much like a calling card but without the hassle, and then type in your number and call directly through to you, this can severely reduce the cost as well...

I hope that this helps you out, because I have *definitely* been where you are...

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandías con un patito como Tricia!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: International Long-Distance Relationships - May 27th 2010, 10:21 AM

To be honest if you're paying that sort of money you could both buy skype enabled mobiles... You'd be in touch on the move 24/7, check phones are both messenger and call skype enabled, but that to me would seem by far the best option, i know over here, while 3 ask fro a £10 top up a month you then get something like 10,000 free skype minutes LOL

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

Closed Thread