TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 05:18 PM

So my boyfriend lives at home- but his mum leaves him alone total freedom.
I've moved in with him and everythings going great.

But because it's his room, his house i feel really bad. Like theres certain things that are really important to me, yet i feel i cant do them as it's his home.

The main issue at the moment is smoking. I'm not a smoker, he is. He's always smoked in his room on a window ledge. But even with a window open i hate it, makes me cough.

I've told him, so now he goes downstairs every time. But i feel really guilty.

And theres other situations.

I guess my question is. It's his house, so whose rules? Is it ok for me to say something?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsecretsx View Post
So my boyfriend lives at home- but his mum leaves him alone total freedom.
I've moved in with him and everythings going great.

But because it's his room, his house i feel really bad. Like theres certain things that are really important to me, yet i feel i cant do them as it's his home.

The main issue at the moment is smoking. I'm not a smoker, he is. He's always smoked in his room on a window ledge. But even with a window open i hate it, makes me cough.

I've told him, so now he goes downstairs every time. But i feel really guilty.

And theres other situations.

I guess my question is. It's his house, so whose rules? Is it ok for me to say something?

His house, his rules. But as a couple your supposed to work on this, if it lasts how are you gonna be able to live together?

Don't act like you own the place, and don't try and change anything around, but when it comes to something like smoking, asking him to go downstairs isn't rude or anything, some people don't like smoking.

Its a fine line, but it is his house and he gets to make the rules, if you start trying to make your own, he may not be happy about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 05:26 PM

Not at all. Just because it's his house it doesn't mean you have to suffer things that would make you unhappy. Especially if what's bothering you is something small and perfectly reasonable. In any relationship a couple will have to reach compromises on certain things, it's normal. A lot of people have a huge issue with smoking. It's not like you asked him to quit entirely, asking him to smoke in a different room is reasonable enough. And from the sound of it your bf is being understanding about it, so I wouldn't worry.

If you're living together there shouldn't be "rules", if that makes sense. Just whatever works best for you both and whatever you're both happiest with.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 05:27 PM

Couples make sacrifices. If he's happy to change small things then don't feel guilty.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 05:27 PM

It's his house so I'd expect it to be his rules but you still have the right to be annoyed with his smoking.

It seems to me that he is smoking downstairs out of respect for you and chances are he doesn't want to expose you to passive smoke or make you cough. IMO you've nothing to be guilty about re: smoking. Without knowing other situations I cannot comment on them

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: His house, my rules? - July 25th 2010, 06:15 PM

It's ultimately his decision, but it's perfectly acceptable for you to ask. Here's why:

1) Second hand smoking is dangerous. If he chooses to smoke with you around the room, then he's putting your life at danger too. If he was a gentleman, he'd be the one exiting the room. Interrupting your daily life just so he can fuel his addiction to cigarettes is wrong. If he doesn't understand that, then you've got yourself a problem.

2) Relationships are about compromises. It's not a big deal to ask because there's no harm in it. You're not personally attacking him for what he's doing, you just don't like inhaling his cigarette smoke because it can damage your lungs.

3) Talking it out is healthy for the relationship. If you let him know, his cigarette smoking won't eat you up on the inside (no pun intended).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: His house, my rules? - July 27th 2010, 07:38 AM

He understands about the smoking and is fine about it. But i'm just really worried about encroaching on his life too much. Like, when he eats dinner he always ate upstairs in bed. I hated it, so now we eat dowstairs at the table some of the time...

I guess, theres nothing big, it's just i'm worried of pushing out the boundaries

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AmberS9109 Offline
I'll Be There For You =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: His house, my rules? - July 27th 2010, 12:08 PM

It's definitely okay for you to say something. As a lot of people say, love means sacrificing. If all he has to do is walk down a flight of stairs in order to smoke, you shouldn't feel bad. Especially since it seems you have a bad reaction around smoke.
You're supposed to compromise with each other. I'm currently living with my boyfriend in his parent's basement, in his room. His room, our rules. Sit down and talk to one another. Let each other know how you both feel. Neither of you are mind readers, and you shouldn't feel guilty for bringing something up that you'd like to change.

Two is better than one.
Amber + Stephen ♥ 11.15.09
  Send a message via AIM to AmberS9109 Send a message via MSN to AmberS9109 Send a message via Yahoo to AmberS9109  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: His house, my rules? - July 27th 2010, 12:16 PM

Hey,

I can understand why this bugs you, I'm a smoker myself but I cannot stand smokey rooms. I actually prefer to smoke outside, smoke lingers so much and it's not nice when that's in the place you're supposed to be sleeping. I would politely ask him if there's a way you can compromise on this only because the smoke fumes make you cough and you don't like sleeping where he's been smoking. Hopefully you'll both be able to come to some agreement over this, even if he smokes in there during the day and then airs the room out before you're both going to sleep.

Hope this helps,
Paige
xx

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Firesong3 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicola

Re: His house, my rules? - July 27th 2010, 01:30 PM

Why don't you talk about it with him? If he doesn't have a problem, then neither do you.

Closed Thread