TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   online dating. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t51096-online-dating/)

Yours Truly August 1st 2010 05:34 AM

online dating.

whats your opinion on it?

xJustMex August 1st 2010 05:43 AM

Re: online dating.

dont even bother..if you live close enough, go for it but trust me they never work out unless youre an adult and have all means necessary to get yourself there..in fact, i know someone i loved in ohio haha and no, it just didnt work -.- sometimes people are different than you think they are as well..more often than not

Stardaze August 1st 2010 05:47 AM

It can work. I met my girlfriend/fiancee on Teen Help back in November of 2008. We started dating in February of 09. We are still together. LDR's take a lot of work but in my opinion yes it can work. If the people are right for each other, and its just meant to be. Everyone is different though. :D

Lightning August 1st 2010 06:07 AM

I've met someone in '09 and she's only a state over. It isn't impossible. We've met more than once in person and are currently seeking plans to live together and hopefully do things like that.

I'm still with her today

ThrashAttack August 1st 2010 06:54 AM

Ive been in several internet relationships, all ended in heartache. So i dont think its a good thing.

DeletedAccount71 August 1st 2010 07:34 AM

They can really go either way. Personally, I don't recommend it because it takes a lot of extra commitment and trust, there is a lot more put into to make it work, one lacks physical contact and interaction, and (in my opinion) there are generally less pros than there are cons. For some people they really work, though. I am just not an LDR or online dating girl.

off to a new life August 1st 2010 08:00 AM

I would never seek out an online relationship, especially not as a teenager. It's tough! There's no kissing or love making and you never have a date to go to parties and things with. I did meet my husband online though, so I know it definitely can work out if the two people are truly dedicated.

Skeleton August 1st 2010 09:47 AM

Speaking from personal experience, I found them extremely hard with the distance especially as the relationship grew and only being able to see them every month or so and they never worked out

But that doesn't mean to say that they will never work out as a few people have already said they're in LDRs which are still going, it's all down to you and whether or not you feel you could do a LDR or not.

noise94 August 1st 2010 10:04 AM

Completely and utterly depends on the people.

I'm in a relationship with someone I met online, but we didn't meet with the intention of dating. We were best friends, and it developed from there. It's not really that hard. Well okay the distance kind of sucks but that doesn't affect our relationship in anyway (probably strengthens it if anything) and we have met in person and will meet loads more times, and will be together properly in the future so it's all good.

They can work out providing 1) The two people are compatible and 2) There is a plan to be physically together for good in the future. I don't think relationships that stay online forever are likely to work out.

*Rainbow*Rider* August 1st 2010 01:58 PM

It can work, but its just setting yourself up for pain.

brokengirl19 August 1st 2010 03:20 PM

You can make it work if you're willing to commit to it. It takes alot more time and effort than a regular relationship, more trust, and there isnt that special time together, watching movies, tv, cuddling, etc. When I was 15 I did long distance, it was out of country lol I was in Tennessee he was in Canada, it lasted 2 years, he always came to see me, but it wasnt meant to be.

Megan1 August 1st 2010 05:07 PM

I would never purposely go online looking for a relationship. But if you somehow accidentally meet someone online and you REALLY think that they could be the one for you, have a way to see them in person, and could eventually live near each other permanently, then I'm not against it.

Gingerbread Latte August 1st 2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseThisLight (Post 445846)
Completely and utterly depends on the people.

They can work out providing 1) The two people are compatible and 2) There is a plan to be physically together for good in the future. I don't think relationships that stay online forever are likely to work out.

I agree with Nicola if it's going to stay online forever then it probably won't work out.

ChelseaSmile August 1st 2010 06:15 PM

Well, online dating can be dangerous.
You never know if the person who is they say they are.
However, if you use a site where people are verified then I guess its okay.

ThrashAttack August 1st 2010 07:00 PM

Ive given up on Internet dating alltogether :D

PlayingPretend August 1st 2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfy (Post 446095)

I agree with Nicola if it's going to stay online forever then it probably won't work out.

I agree with this and Nicola.

The reason my relationship ended up not working out was, despite how much we loved one another, there really wouldn't be a chance to see each other for more than three times a year for 5-7 years. And even then, we weren't sure who would have to move and whether or not it would even be possible.

DarkSeph August 1st 2010 08:48 PM

The only time I'd be against the idea of online relationships would be if it was online forever, which would never work. Or if the relationship started because the couple were specifically searching online for one. Or if it was a rushed relationship.

Real life relationships go badly just as often as online relationships, and if you know the other person well enough, there's very little difference really. As for safety, online can be dangerous, but real life isn't always safe either. The lack of physical contact can be an issue, but that's more dependent on whether a person is looking for a long term loving relationship or a mainly sex based one. In fact it can strengthen a relationship to overcome the temporary lack of physical contact.

niente_ August 1st 2010 08:57 PM

It works if you meet online then meet up in real life through proper dating websites. Both my mum and my dad met their current partners through a dating website.
But I don't believe online dating can work where you don't see each other and only chat online. I think that's a bit strange to be honest. How can you fall in love with someone you've never even met before?

Tara. August 1st 2010 09:09 PM

Be cautious.

That's my only thought on it.

brokengirl19 August 1st 2010 10:48 PM

To Niente_

Because through talking you learn emotions, how other people feel and think. Peoples personalities are easy to fall in love with, although I do see what you're saying, lack of physical contact takes its toll. Sorry I dont know how to respond to 1 post lol

WillO'Wisp August 1st 2010 10:49 PM

I won't do it. It never works out. You need to have face-to-face communication for a relationship to work out.

Twinge August 2nd 2010 04:39 PM

i agree with others,if you can't do it(or dunno how),better to not try. sometimes i thought online dating was just for fun. heck,i had 6 bfs. :/ some broke my heart and i broke some of theirs,and little of them didnt take me seriously. online relationships just hurt. i hope it can get better for other people cause there is always a chance for two to meet,no matter where.

and i've met many internet manics out there,adults or not and gotten myself in trouble. before others decide to date ANYONE,i suggest they think twice if its not too late,you could pay for even a small mistake.

MisplacedDreamer August 2nd 2010 10:22 PM

Is it online dating where you plan on meeting people or where you date someone online in a long-distance relationship?

If it is a plan to meet with local people, I would say that no one under the age of 19 should attempt it. It is risky and a lot of people out there lie about themselves to seem more attractive to you. I am a hypocrite on this matter because that's how I met my boyfriend, but he jokes that I was the only normal girl on Craigslist as his friends had busts so far.

I have had some bad situations because of online dating. It can lead to a kind of addiction as people love the profile. I had serious disappointments when people weren't that good as they made themselves seem to be or they turned out to be psycho such as the Neo-Nazi-hypocrite, car-loving psycho.

As for relationships online, once again, I am not sure if they are good because there is no physical contact. You just know them through what they want to say. What I say on here is not necessarily what I would say in-person. Online can be edited and filtered whereas real-life isn't.

MadPoet August 2nd 2010 11:01 PM

I think that online relationships are kind of pointless, personally. Most of the time they probably won't work out. Even if you do plan on meeting the person eventually, there's always the chance that they could be completely different in person than the are online. People have different personalities online often times. They could be completely different than what you expect, and you may not like them once you meet them. And even if you do meet them, it would take some pretty strong commitment to keep the relationship together. At the age of fourteen I don't think you could handle a relationship that took that much commitment.