TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Controlling? - August 7th 2010, 02:16 AM

Hi, I am trying to become more assertive. And I started being around people again as of resently. There is a boy I have become infatuated with. We both like eachother. But I'm afraid I've become somewhat controlling since my last relationship.

In mylast relationship I was ignored and degrated. So now I like to have my opinion heard. One thing I am worried about is telling others how to feel.

For example, I was at the movies with the boy that I like. Then he started feeling very sick and had to leave the theater for a little while. And dissapeared for a good chunk of the movie. When he left he appologized. Then I told him not to. Because I one, really dislike appologys, and two it was not even in the least bit his fault. Then after I said that I felt a little bad, I had told him what to do. And that sucks, I dont want people to feel like they have to walk on egg shells around me. I can dislike appologys all that I want but telling them no to do so when it is entirely their decision does not feel right to me.

I'm a little bit confused in general, I'm having a hard time deciding how to be in a relationship. What my boundrys should be, and what the best way to treat others is.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Controlling? - August 7th 2010, 04:37 AM

You always have to have a limit for a trait like that. If you use it to much, it could drive him up a tree. If you dont, he could walk all over you. Make sure that you can tell when hes annoyed.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Controlling? - August 7th 2010, 05:24 AM

I'm going to be honest, I think you are being too hard on yourself. In fact, I think it's a normal reaction when someone says "sorry" for something like that for the other person to respond with "don't be" or "don't apologise". I know I have before. It's definitely not controlling to tell someone that they don't need to apologise.

What I think is that you are still feeling the effects of your previous relationship. It seems like you were treated as "inferior" in that relationship and that that has now made you concerned about asserting yourself. Whenever you say anything opinionated, you feel like you've done something wrong. And you shouldn't. As long as you are polite and respectful, there shouldn't be a problem.

For example, there is nothing wrong with saying "don't apologise, you don't need to". It's nice and polite. There would, however, be a problem if you said "don't you dare apologise, you loser!" because that's quite rude. As long as you treat other people with respect, you'll be fine. As a general rule, think about how you would like to be treated, and treat others accordingly.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Controlling? - August 8th 2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
I'm going to be honest, I think you are being too hard on yourself. In fact, I think it's a normal reaction when someone says "sorry" for something like that for the other person to respond with "don't be" or "don't apologise". I know I have before. It's definitely not controlling to tell someone that they don't need to apologise.

What I think is that you are still feeling the effects of your previous relationship. It seems like you were treated as "inferior" in that relationship and that that has now made you concerned about asserting yourself. Whenever you say anything opinionated, you feel like you've done something wrong. And you shouldn't. As long as you are polite and respectful, there shouldn't be a problem.

For example, there is nothing wrong with saying "don't apologise, you don't need to". It's nice and polite. There would, however, be a problem if you said "don't you dare apologise, you loser!" because that's quite rude. As long as you treat other people with respect, you'll be fine. As a general rule, think about how you would like to be treated, and treat others accordingly.
I completely agree with this response.

Another suggestion I'd like to throw your way is to consider whether or not it would be "controlling" behavior if I said "you don't need to apologize". If Amy (ShimmeringFaerie) said "there's no need to be sorry". If any of your friends said similar things. If you don't see what WE are doing as "controlling", then why would you see what YOU are doing as "controlling"? Heck, I'm pretty sure your date would have said the exact same thing if you had been the one who was sick and had to leave the movie. =) So why hold yourself to a higher standard, when you have absolutely no reason to do so?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Controlling? - August 9th 2010, 12:40 AM

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate them very much. They have helped a lot.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

Closed Thread