TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Cyber-Dating-Yay? Nay? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t63659-cyber-dating-yay-nay/)

EyesWideShut January 5th 2011 01:59 PM

Cyber-Dating-Yay? Nay?

I think it is a very, VERY bad idea. Then again the guy is-was- 22, and mentally unstable. (Goddess, I know how to pick em) So what do you think of it?

TheLittleNinja January 5th 2011 05:05 PM

Re: Cyber-Dating-Yay? Nay?

I have nothing against cyber-dating, as long as you're safe.
It's difficult, if it's going to be a long-distance relationship, then I think that serious thinking is needed - as to whether your both prepared to be apart for a length of time.

I don't feel there is anything wrong with meeting a partner via the internet.

Acheron January 5th 2011 05:13 PM

Tried it once, hated it. Although that could have been because the girl was crazy and borderline retarded (OK, I exaggerate a little, but I get bored of girls who aren't razor-sharp very quickly). Still, any online relationship is going to be long-distance by definition, and it's unlikely that the partners will meet for some time. Maybe some people can enjoy a romantic relationship without a physical aspect, but for me that's impossible.

Sorry to disappoint you all.

:p

MadPoet January 5th 2011 06:05 PM

I think it's stupid and overrated. People make it seem like it's the greatest thing in the world, when my mind it really isn't. You're not really with someone unless you can physically be with them. People can obviously do what they want, but I doubt their relationships will work out.

I am lonley January 5th 2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acheron (Post 554583)
Maybe some people can enjoy a romantic relationship without a physical aspect, but for me that's impossible.

+1 :'( I really need someone right now.. :'(

TwilightDwells January 5th 2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am lonley (Post 554642)
+1 :'( I really need someone right now.. :'(

Agreed. Same here buddy, same here.

Now back to this subject. Definitly not something I'd consider doing, but maybe in time I'll change my mind. Currently, I see no real point in it.

how.we.operate. January 5th 2011 11:38 PM

I think it isn't the best of ideas, but I am not against it.
I really dislike it and sometimes discourage it because it is the internet--people lie about things and can easily get away with this. You could think the guy is only 22, but can you be sure that he isn't older? AND the huge part is how can you be sure it isn't just some creep? Also, you don't know who this person really is! How many times do you give the truth to people online? A relationship typically occurs because of feelings with the other person, but the problem with cyber-dating is you don't get the same feelings as you do when you meet a guy at school for example.
To me, the good parts of a cyber-relationship is you can talk to the person. It is easier to talk to someone online because you don't exactly fear their reaction-I mean you do but it is easier to spill things out online.

It all depends...but I wouldn't get caught on one guy online. I personally think that you should find a guy in real life and balance the relationship online and in person, but that is just me.

Be careful and I hope you find a great guy either way!

skydivers-in-reverse January 6th 2011 12:10 AM

Not for me - I can't connect or really open up to someone unless I'm there with them.
It probably works beautifully for some people, but I would just get very lonely and miss that person.

PlayingPretend January 6th 2011 01:20 AM

I had one. Turned into a physical relationship when he came out to see me and when I went out there to see him. Didn't last, but I attribute that to the fact it was a first relationship and it's rare you ever end up with your first, not to mention that I'm young and not looking to settle down permanently until mid-late 20's. That being said, it was a beautiful, amazing and very positive experience that I will treasure for a lifetime. :) But I understand that very few people actually have that same experience when it comes to online relationships.