TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kateykat94 Offline
Kaitlyn M
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitlyn Morris

Points: 8,311, Level: 13 Points: 8,311, Level: 13 Points: 8,311, Level: 13

Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 05:23 PM

Im 16 years old and I met this amazing guy. He's 20 years old and is studying business. He is already making a commitment that when he turns 21 in a couple months he will not drink around me. He wont even text me if he gets drunk. He is not going to pressure me into anything that I don't want and he really respects me. What do you think?

"We've all been down that road before. Searching for that something more. World's spinning 'round. There's no sign of slowing down. So won't you take a breath? Just take a breath."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 05:27 PM

He sounds like a great guy on paper. But to be honest, these things never end well. I watched one of my friends go through this sophomore year. She was 15, he was 20. He made a lot of the same promises to her. But even though it's illegal, they ended up having sex. He figured out that it could ruin his life and he ended up leaving the state without telling anyone. I'm not saying the same thing will happen to you, but I really would advise against you dating an adult while you're still a minor. In the end though, it's up to you.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 05:45 PM

I agree with Samantha. My friend was sixteen when she went out with a twenty year old and the whole thing ended very messily ~ he took complete advantage of her, used her for sex, cheated on her with several other girls of the same age.... not that this guy will necessarily do that to you but my advice would be not to get into this. However it is obviously up to you.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 06:09 PM

I agree with the others. He sounds like a great guy, but even guys you think are perfect aren't. In all honesty, the age different isn't that big of a deal. It's only 4 years. However, there is the age of consent to think about and since you are under the age of 18, the age in which you become a legal adult, it is illegal for him to have any sexual relations with you. However, this not being my point, you'd be at two different places in your life: he's in college, you aren't. He's around tons of college girls all the time, while your surrounded by high school boys. You see what I'm trying to say? Things would just end up messily for you, especially when he does turn 21. He'll be going out and meeting all sorts of new people. Whose to say he won't turn into that guy?

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
kateykat94 Offline
Kaitlyn M
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaitlyn Morris

Points: 8,311, Level: 13 Points: 8,311, Level: 13 Points: 8,311, Level: 13

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 06:14 PM

I get what all of you are saying. In all honesty, those thoughts went through my head also. He wants to go hang tonight, but not as a date or anything, just to get to know each other better. I think after tonight I'll know exactly what I want to do. Thank you!

"We've all been down that road before. Searching for that something more. World's spinning 'round. There's no sign of slowing down. So won't you take a breath? Just take a breath."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Points: 11,344, Level: 15 Points: 11,344, Level: 15 Points: 11,344, Level: 15

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 06:35 PM

I wish you the best of luck tonight! I would tell a friend where you two are going to be just in case. You can never be too careful! (:
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
bipolar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leah

Points: 9,111, Level: 13 Points: 9,111, Level: 13 Points: 9,111, Level: 13

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 21st 2011, 07:51 PM

um. no. bad idea. you'll only get yourself into trouble. you have so much life and youre in high school you should spend your teenage years as a teenager! i mean, if you guys have sex or whatever or get "intimate" (i totally hate the use of that word) and someone in authority found out, he could be charged with rape. it will more likely end in a huge mess than in a happily ever after

had a dream, i was king. woke up, still king(: - eminem

you put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray. i stood there loving you and wished them all away. and you come away with a great little story of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you- taylor swift

i dont know what i want, so don't ask me- taylor swift.

maybe there's beauty in goodbye. theres just no reasons left to try. you push me away. another black day. let's count up the reasons to cry.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18

Re: Opinion on 16 year old girl dating 20 year old guy - July 22nd 2011, 02:54 AM

I know it all seems lovely and nice, as does he, but you have to really question what a 20-year-old is doing with a sixteen-year-old. If you were twenty, would you date someone who was sixteen?
Closed Thread