TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PureLithium Offline
Equestrian
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18

Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 12th 2011, 01:16 AM

So, long story short, my friend dated this guy for 6 months. Well, the entire course of their relationship consisted of breaking up and getting back together every other day because T (the girl) would always cheat on her boyfriend. They finally broke up again (supposedly for good this time ) and I started talking to J (the guy). We found out that we really connected and even hung out together and had an amazing time.

Problem is, we don't know how to tell my friend, his ex. She's purposely doing stuff to hurt him like sleeping with guys and telling him even when they aren't together. He's over her and wants to be with me, which I'm ecstatic over. T is the type of girl who would beat the sh*t out of me if she found out so...how do I tell her? I sit with her everyday for 30 minutes at lunch. There's no way around not seeing her anymore.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 12th 2011, 01:55 AM

Well the way that I look at things, if what you are keeping from your friend is about your friend, then your friend has a right to know. If its not really about your friend, then they don't have to know. If you want to tell your friend and its too hard for you to actually say it, write your friend a note about what's going on. Explaining how you feel about this person and why you feel that way. Your friend should accept you for who you are. Sure your friend might be mad at first, but they have to get over it sometime.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 12th 2011, 02:13 AM

The longer you keep this from her, the worse it will be. Its best if she finds out from you and not somebody else. Sure, it will be tough to tell her but she deserves to know the truth and most likely she will find out in time anyway. They are broken up and she seems to be having fun, so I don't think it is wrong for you two to be together. Especially since she cheated on him so many times, thats a terrible thing to do. Just be honest with her, and she will be mad for awhile but I'm sure if you give her time it will all blow over.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 12th 2011, 02:29 AM

I agree. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. If you think she's going to hurt you, I'd bring J or another friend of yours to ensure this doesn't happen. However, if she is going to continue to hurt him, she's going to find out one way or another but it's best to come from you. He has every right to date whomever he wants, and if that's you, then she needs to learn how to back off.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 13th 2011, 09:06 PM

My question is, "Why are you friends with T?" She sounds like a horrible person! Screw what she thinks. If she ever lays hands on you, get an adult involved. Otherwise, let her be angry... know that any anger directed toward you is really anger that she doesn't want to direct toward herself.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 13th 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
My question is, "Why are you friends with T?" She sounds like a horrible person! Screw what she thinks. If she ever lays hands on you, get an adult involved. Otherwise, let her be angry... know that any anger directed toward you is really anger that she doesn't want to direct toward herself.
I agree with this, she does sound like a bad friend. Really, she shouldn't have cheated on him and you have a right to date him since you are going to treat him right.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Should I tell my friend I'm dating her ex? - October 14th 2011, 03:57 AM

I agree you might ant to re evaluate the basis of your friendship with T.

But, you might also want to evaluate J's intentions with you to make sure he's not playing you to get back at T, who's playing him.

In either event, you should tell T in a very matter of fact, direct way, one that doesn't at all seem like you're asking for permission, which you do not need here!

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
Closed Thread