TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lila Daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isa

Points: 7,732, Level: 12 Points: 7,732, Level: 12 Points: 7,732, Level: 12

Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 8th 2011, 02:00 AM

I used to be Theodosia on here.

My girlfriend and i are still together what will be 10 months next wednesday and we want to come out next year when she enters highschool.But I am scared i know most of my friends will accept me heck most are bi. but its my family and there mucho reputation in the county that worries me. i dont know how to tell my parents that i wont break up with her and if possible we will be publicy a couple next year. I will take as much advice as possible.

Lila Daisy
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 15th 2011, 09:45 AM

Hey Theo!

Congratulations on wanting to come out! That's extremely courageous of you! (Congratulations on ten months with your girlfriend, too!) I know it can be a tough decision, but it's good that you know your friends will support you. That makes it a heck of a lot easier, especially at school!

Will you also be entering high school? Your freshman year is a good time to come out, I think, because while you will probably be with some kids from your old school, you will be introduced to many new faces as well. These new people in your life will know you as bi from day one and it won't come as much of a shock as it might if you'd known them for years. They won't have to "adjust" their perceived image of you in their heads, because they're just getting to know you.

As for your family, are they homophobic? Do you think you'd be in danger of being kicked out or anything like that if you told them? If that's the case, I would put off coming out until you're in a better position. Remember, your safety always comes first! But if you don't think that'd be an issue, I would sit down with them and calmly explain that you're bi and are currently dating a girl. Tell them that she means a lot to you and you would like to be able to be open about your relationship. Be as calm as you can and try not to get angry or defensive. They might be more likely to listen if you remain composed and explain yourself in a mature way.

You want your parents to see that your relationship is normal. So try to act casual about it. If you're not making a big deal out of it, people might be less likely to as well. This is something I talked about with my girlfriend before we came out publicly. You want to seem like every other relationship out there, because you're just as natural as every other relationship out there!

Do you think that more people are accepting of the LGBT community in your area? If that's the case, then maybe your parents don't have to worry about their reputation much. I think in general, people tend to be more understanding and more open about their own curiosities. But this really depends on where you live.

I think that as long as you're not in any danger, you should come out if you want to. I understand that having your parents' approval is a huge thing! But don't let their reputation stop you from doing what you and your girlfriend want. Give your parents some time to accept it if they need.

I hope this helps! Take care!

Last edited by DeletedAccount31; November 20th 2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Grammar error.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lila Daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 20th 2011, 03:18 AM

I'm actually already in highschool I started this year. I have decided to write a letter to my mom and give it to her on thanksgiving while we are at dinner. Thank you for the support the only other big support comes from my two straight best friends. I told my mom last thanksgiving that I was bi and tried to explain it but she said I was too young and acted as though I was joking. So I really hope this time it goes better.

Lila Daisy
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 20th 2011, 03:53 AM

Congrats for coming out! it takes courage. ALso congrats on your 10month!

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 20th 2011, 04:07 AM

Hmmm. I never advocate coming out if you don't have to until you're in an emotional and financial place to deal with negative reactions from family and friends. I know you want to be honest about who you are, to yourself as well as others, but there's nothing wrong with just keeping it your business for a while. Your mother....she probably already knows so why create a lot of tension at thanksgiving. At least wait til friday.

What just happened?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lila Daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 24th 2011, 03:04 AM

Well I just finished the letter I'm gonna give to my mom tomorrow while me and her go to dinner. Thanks support and advice it means alot. I found out that next year when my girlfriend is in highschool if all goes well I will get to go to band events with her that is a huge thing where we live... Band is more important than sports! That and she gets to see me sing a love song at our talent show which happens to be on our 11 months so yay! Wish me luck tomorrow!!!

Lila Daisy
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15 Points: 10,666, Level: 15

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 24th 2011, 03:07 AM

Good Luck! Stay Stong!

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lila Daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 27th 2011, 03:02 AM

Well I gave her the letter while we were eating out. We talked about all the way home and she doesn't want to stop it but doesn't want it to happen either. She doesn't want my gf and I to be public cause she doesn't want to explain to my grandma. I'm worried that I will have to break up with my gf because of my family and hers.I'm glad and not that I told my mom about her and I.

Lila Daisy
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Teddscau Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Robyn

Points: 8,840, Level: 13 Points: 8,840, Level: 13 Points: 8,840, Level: 13

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 27th 2011, 07:54 PM

Well, if the only reason your mom doesn't want you two to go public is because of your grandma, then, oh well. It's the 21st century and your grandma needs to adapt to it. Also, should you have to break up with your girlfriend because others aren't willing to accept you two? Think about it for a second, if your friends and family would reject you just because of your sexuality, do you really want to be around them? Personally, I'd rather lose my family and friends because I showed my true self than to keep them because I've been living a lie. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - November 29th 2011, 05:48 AM

You're only 14 so you can give it time. Enjoy your gf and don't stir up trouble where you don't have to. Your grandmother probably knows already, grandparents are pretty good at guessing things like that, but she is probably too traditional to acknowledge it. So be good to her and don't force her to confront it.

What just happened?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Lila Daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice on girlfriend and parents - December 14th 2011, 03:19 AM

Thanx for the advice with my grandma but I don't think I'm gonna come out to her just yet. Teddscau- yeah my grandma does need to adapt but the phrase can't teach an old dog new tricks fits her. Jaguar- im enjoying every dag on minute with my gf I can and currently am thinking ways of kissin her under the mistletoe without getting caughtby our elEmentary school principal. Heeheehee! Gonna love day b4 Christmas break!

Lila Daisy
Closed Thread