TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,733, Level: 15 Points: 11,733, Level: 15 Points: 11,733, Level: 15

Red face Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend? - March 25th 2012, 01:58 AM

So, I really want to have a strong relationship with my girlfriend. She's my best friend and has been for two years, and we're really close. We've just now reached the point of agreeing to be a couple, and I don't want to mess anything up in this. Even before we were together we were talking about a future together (although most of it was just fantasizing, only a bit was serious) but we really want to last. I was just hoping for some advice for the older kids here who have managed to get through a relationship with their best friend and ended up with him or her. Anything that changed or needed to be worked on or expanded? (I know every case is different, though. I just need some things to consider for us as we get older.)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend? - March 25th 2012, 02:14 AM

The best advice I can give for any relationship is be yourself, COMMUNICATE, and don't overthink. You're here asking us how to build a strong relationship; you've been close to this girl for years and you've been talking for a while about getting together. It sounds to me like you're already quite close, and you're overthinking how to do this right. In any relationship, always be yourself. That's very important. Second, communicate. Tell her you're happy to be in a relationship, and that you want to make things work. Also, you alone can't build a strong relationship with her. You're both part of this relationship, and that means you both have to work together to build it and keep it strong. Take things at your own pace, be yourself, and communicate. Those are some of the most basic ingredients for a good relationship.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13

Re: Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend? - March 25th 2012, 04:59 AM

My fiance was also my best friend and nothing bad happened or changed since we had our relationship and the fact that he's my best friend makes it easier for me to talk about everything with him.
And since the future is uncertain and everything can change, one thing that I can tell you about having your best friend as a partner is that you need to consider if things are not going well with the two of you, it will be so hard to go back to the close friendship state like you have right now with her.
And most of my friends who had relationships with their best friends never really made it back to the same friendship they had after the break ups. Well they're still friends, but that's just it because everything seemed to turn so awkward and they wanted to forget their feelings so going back to the old friendship is not an option.

But again, everything's back to the people in the relationship, if the two of you can handle it well even when your relationship's being tested I think you shouldn't be worry about anything. Good luck!

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life. - Herbert Otto

Closed Thread