TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t97844-building-strong-relationship-my-girlfriend/)

AmiFey March 25th 2012 01:58 AM

Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend?

So, I really want to have a strong relationship with my girlfriend. She's my best friend and has been for two years, and we're really close. We've just now reached the point of agreeing to be a couple, and I don't want to mess anything up in this. Even before we were together we were talking about a future together (although most of it was just fantasizing, only a bit was serious) but we really want to last. I was just hoping for some advice for the older kids here who have managed to get through a relationship with their best friend and ended up with him or her. Anything that changed or needed to be worked on or expanded? (I know every case is different, though. I just need some things to consider for us as we get older.)

Koharuchan March 25th 2012 02:14 AM

Re: Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend?

The best advice I can give for any relationship is be yourself, COMMUNICATE, and don't overthink. You're here asking us how to build a strong relationship; you've been close to this girl for years and you've been talking for a while about getting together. It sounds to me like you're already quite close, and you're overthinking how to do this right. In any relationship, always be yourself. That's very important. Second, communicate. Tell her you're happy to be in a relationship, and that you want to make things work. Also, you alone can't build a strong relationship with her. You're both part of this relationship, and that means you both have to work together to build it and keep it strong. Take things at your own pace, be yourself, and communicate. Those are some of the most basic ingredients for a good relationship.

Flavalicious March 25th 2012 04:59 AM

Re: Building a Strong Relationship with my Girlfriend?

My fiance was also my best friend and nothing bad happened or changed since we had our relationship and the fact that he's my best friend makes it easier for me to talk about everything with him.
And since the future is uncertain and everything can change, one thing that I can tell you about having your best friend as a partner is that you need to consider if things are not going well with the two of you, it will be so hard to go back to the close friendship state like you have right now with her.
And most of my friends who had relationships with their best friends never really made it back to the same friendship they had after the break ups. Well they're still friends, but that's just it because everything seemed to turn so awkward and they wanted to forget their feelings so going back to the old friendship is not an option.

But again, everything's back to the people in the relationship, if the two of you can handle it well even when your relationship's being tested I think you shouldn't be worry about anything. Good luck!