View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 4th 2013, 02:04 AM

Hi Mila!

Hahaha, I agree with you there, took a while to get to that rationale about driving but I'm glad I got there too.
Welcome to TH by the way.
I struggled with a lot of what you mentioned while growing up, not fitting in, having to use special technology etc. I ended up being rather depressed to due to not having any friends really, being rejected by people (them making plans and canceling or writing what they were talking about during lunch so I couldn't know etc) and also due to some things in my childhood (probably main reason for my depression.)
I agree that the camps and programs for the blind during the summer really were helpful in assisting me with becoming a stronger person and they definitely helped with feeling less alone. Also the scholarships and other ways to connect with people that are legally blind aare very helpful too.
I am really glad you get to experience bus routes and having people bring you places a couple of times and then figuring out the routes yourself, that is really great determination and will only make you more comfortable as time goes on. I am hoping to one day live in an area where I can use busses but currently my college campus meets all of my needs practically and where I live is so rural there is not any public transportation (except the bus that goes like once a day.)
I use a cane and I recently have begun the application process for a guide dog so if you are interested in applying, I can let you know of some schools and about the process: you can PM or VM me if you want.
Also, I do not find what you wrote to be a rant. It is inspiring and I am glad you were open to sharing your story and listening to others.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.