View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15 Points: 11,358, Level: 15

Re: My Rant About Science vs. Religion - April 2nd 2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee
Nothing in Genesis contradicts the idea that there are multiple galaxies. And really, Genesis never gives an absolute timeline for creation. It just says "and the darkness and the light were the nth day." It never says "and twenty-four, sixty-minute hours later (each minute of which had sixty seconds), it was yet another day." What does "a day" mean if there's nothing around to live it? Who's to say that the "first day" in which G-d created the earth and the sky wasn't a quadrillion years long as we keep track of time now? Genesis tells that life started with aquatic plants and animals, just like science. (Well, current theories say it all started with aquatic bacteria, but as any biologist knows, all aquatic plants need bacteria to live, so it's not unreasonable to say that of course the bacteria came first, but who the f cares? we don't eat the bacteria! We eat the seaweed!)
I have been saying this for years. A day is only 24 hours for the people who decided what a "day" means, what an "hour" means, etc. I feel like the "day" in the Bible could have been millions of years in the way we measure time. I believe in divine creation and in science. I don't know why it's so hard to believe that maybe the reason things are logical and follow rules of physics is because God set those rules into motion. Isn't the fact that things follow rules in the universe pretty awesome and amazing to consider? If this was all just chance or random happenings in an infinite vastness, I would expect more things to be random, not follow observable, quantified laws and rules like so many things do. But that's just me.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.