View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ghost On The Highway Offline
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Explain your religion to me! - May 9th 2013, 02:10 AM

I'll try to explain my beliefs as best I can, not sure I sure call it "religion." I believe in and try to adhere to most of the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism, at least those I'm currently aware of . Siddhartha Gautama Buddha lived around the 6th century BC. He was a man, not a god, and is said to have reached enlightenment or Nirvana after a long period of meditation. The Buddha's teachings center on the recognition and amelioration of samsara, the cycle of suffering and death all beings experience. Essentially, we followers must strive to eliminate grasping, attachment, and the presence of the ego in our lives through helping others and understanding the true nature of life, death, and the other "bardo" states.

My beliefs: I believe that we are reborn following death into a new existence on this Earth in accordance to some degree with our karma. I believe that it is essential to foster life, happiness, and the reduction of suffering on this planet, now. I do not believe in Hell. I believe in an "old Earth," several billions of years old. I believe in the existence of additional universes, a "multiverse," so to speak. I believe in extraterrestrial life, evolution, most tenets of science, etc. I don't put much stock in economic theory, teachings on human history, monotheism, intelligent design, etc.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.