View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Question How do I have the courage? - May 18th 2013, 04:12 PM

I've struggled for a long while religiously. When I was twelve, I worshiped the Greek Gods for two years, and loved it. My friends convinced me to give Christianity another try, and after about six months of that, I'd had enough. I researched a lot of different religions, but still the one that sticks with me -- the one that I really felt like I grew up with -- is the best one for me, I think. Not to mention I already have faith in the Gods, so there's no having to build up to that.

The thing is, I'm going to college either this fall or this spring (I'm an early grad, so we have to make sure everything's alright with the college I choose before I go, in the way of paperwork and such). My mom and I have developed a really sound, mutually respectful relationship lately. The only thing she doesn't know about me is that I'm not a Christian, and I'd like to change that.

I'd like to sit down with her and discuss Hellenismos, my views on evolution, life, and the hereafter, before I go to college. I feel that if I'm able to speak to her about it now, I will be in close enough proximity that even if she doesn't agree with my views, she'll be able to see that I'm not any different than I was before -- that maybe I've even settled into my beliefs and become a better person for it. Even more, I'd like the blessing said at my graduation party to be asked of my Gods. I'm willing to meet in the middle and have my cousin say another blessing via her God, but nothing in the world would mean more to me.

The trouble is that I'm terrified. I know she's sane and respects my opinion, so I know that I shouldn't be so afraid; but I respect her opinion, too, and when she inevitably tells me that I'm unstable for not being a Christian, I'll probably break down crying without really meaning to. I'd hate for the closeness we've had lately to break apart because of my Gods, but I feel that I need to hear what she says about it, and more importantly, I don't want to keep trying to be something I'm not to please my family and the people around me.

I have a list of things that I'm going to talk about, which I just have to print out so that I have it when I speak to her. The ideal time is any time: We live on a farm, so I've planned to just ask her to take a walk with me, then explain it to her as gently and respectfully as possible. It's going to come as a huge shock to her, and if she cries, I'm going to choke up and not be able to talk.

Any ideas how I can gather the courage to go through this?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.