View Single Post
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16

Re: My Rant About Science vs. Religion - April 4th 2009, 09:13 PM

Mary: Noah was actually told to gather up several pairs of each animal.
Gen 7:1-7:3
1. And the Lord said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, for it is you that I have seen as a righteous man before Me in this generation.
2. Of all the clean animals you shall take for yourself seven pairs, a male and its mate, and of the animals that are not clean, two, a male and its mate.
3. Also, of the fowl of the heavens, seven pairs, male and female, to keep seed alive on the face of the earth.

He just loaded the animals two-by-two. He actually took more than two of some of the animals. Also, there is a ton of scientific evidence for a great flood that covered a lot of Babylon a while ago (I saw it on the History Channel a while ago). Did it cover the entire globe? Science doesn't think so. I'm not sure what the Torah thinks, to be honest. It says the rain was on the earth, but it doesn't capitalize it as though it were a name. Is it a ledgend? I don't know. I think it's most likely to be an embellished telling of a true story.

Zack: your comment is both meaningless and untrue. A fact is just what a bunch of people have decided is likely the truth. Merriam-Webster tells us that "fact" is a noun meaning "something that is undisputably the case." If we're going to take that definition, Darwin's theory of evolution isn't a fact, since there are quite a few people in the Bible Belt of America who are glad to dispute that for you. For a really long time, it was a fact that the Earth was flat and the sun revolved around it. Nobody disputed that until Columbus. In fact, only very recently have religious ideas and scientific ones become separated. Newton was a G-d-fearing man. To Newton, G-d's existence was fact. This is the man who first described gravity as a force and invented differential calculus.
I bet a lot of Christians would tell you that religious ideas are supported by the Bible (not the other way around), which is supported by G-d himself. And if G-d doesn't deliver truth, who does? Men who thought the Earth was flat?

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]