dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman - July 15th 2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
The thing is it would HAVE to be a hate crime charge. The Federal government can't slap federal charges on state level crimes at will. The only reason they're "looking into it" right now is that hate crimes are the only crimes that they can peruse, because hate crimes fall within their jurisdiction. It's kind of like how bank robberies, no matter how small, automatically fall within the jurisdiction of the FBI.

This incident, as it stands right now, doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of the federal government. They need clear and present evidence of racial motivation behind Zimmerman's actions, and as of right now there isn't any.
My understanding (again limited by the fact I don't know US federal law inside out) is that a civil rights violation charge could be brought separately from any potential hate crime charge. Certainly, this article would suggest that to be the case. I'll need to do some more reading on the background law though.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick