View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 13,511, Level: 16 Points: 13,511, Level: 16 Points: 13,511, Level: 16

Re: I need help my parents found out about my self harm?! - July 26th 2013, 09:45 PM

When my parents found out they yelld at me too and I cried and they cried. They eventually got it out of me that my at the time bf was hurting me and I felt worthless cuz he had just dumped me. I was 17 and had been doing it all thru my year long relationship with him. They were eventually pretty understanding. I talked to a psychologist for about a year. I found that if you let them in on some of your reasons then they will feel better and more a part of your life. They only want what's best for you after all. They are scared for you. Parents hate seeing their children in pain and even though they don't always show it in the most constructive way they really want what's best. I printed out my parents some info about self harm and how it's an addiction and a slow recovery. It helped them understand it. It was awkward for a while tho. I'm not going to deny that. I had to explain to them that constantly interrogating me about it was only hurting me and not helping. I also told them some of the stuff that my ex did to me (only the minimal stuff like verbal abuse not the physical and sexual abuse. I don't think that them knowing that would help. Only cause more worry) it helps if you go to them to talk sometimes. It makes them feel like you are trying and wanting to change. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I know it's hard but them finding out is the first step to recovery.

Best wishes!
~SM~