View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

College and Working - August 6th 2013, 05:40 PM

Yesterday I had sent my cousin a text message asking her a question regarding if I could use her as a reference. A few hours later she sent me a text message and I feel like I was being bashed and told what to do, that she thinks she knows what is best for me.

Here is the text messages that I received and sent: (None of it has identifying information)

My first text was asking if she could be a reference her response: Her responses are in BLUE and mine are in PURPLE.

What happened to volunteering? I hope working is just for weekends... and yes.
I need to have some sort of income while at College. And its only part time. If I don't work I am screwed to next summer.
What's wrong with next summer?
I won't have money to survive, won't be able to pay bills and rent, food. {assistance for College) covers only my schooling months.
That's why you work in the summer. Just be careful you don't overload school so that during it you are screwed!
I won't overload with school and work.
Okay good because what I saw in the past, you had great intentions, lots of ambition, but the plan was not realistic and you overloaded yourself. Maybe you learned from that? Of course if you do your cash flow (and stick to it) you'll know what you'll need.
Yes ik
Just watching out for you . You do plan to work next summer don't you?
Yes

I honestly was pissed with her, didn't show it in my responses but sersiouly I am not setting myself up where I have no money after College is done that year and my College Assistance money is gone. I have gotten my timetable and have applied to a few jobs, 3 days a week I am wanting to work before classes, then one after class. I would be doing about 20 hours a week in working with a full course load. I understand she is looking out for me but I am not getting myself in a money rut. I have bills to pay each month. I'm already almost 2 months behind in my credit card bill. Even with College Assistance (which I would need to pay back) I may need more money during that time. I already added up all my expenses for those 8 months and it's a lot.

It's bothering me more and more on her response. As if I should strictly focus on school, I need a income and after my classes I can stay at the College to do homework (that way I avoid rush hour times on public transit). If she finds out I am willing to work 20 hours with College, she will question me then tell me it's a bad idea. Not hard to request time off work or change my schedule.

I'm not sure why this is bothering me. Does anyone have similar experiences as I do? Has anyone had a bad experience while going to College and working?

On top of it I may not get a job right away once I start looking once College is done, so I am not waiting. I already applied to 3 places which I am confident I will find a job within a month or two.

Thank You

Also to add it seems like she thinks she knows what is best for me all the time. I think this stems from me not having family. I am used to it, been out of my parents for 4 years now. Like she needs to be a motherly figure she said this to me while I was living with her. I am not living with her anymore.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; August 6th 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added Additional Information