View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Zace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isaac/Zac

Points: 9,453, Level: 14 Points: 9,453, Level: 14 Points: 9,453, Level: 14

Re: People giving your religion a bad name - August 23rd 2013, 10:41 AM

I have two points on this topic really. I should probably mention that I'm an Atheist to start with, even though it's not a religion or even a group really I feel like some people give us a bad reputation. Which comes around to my first thought being that you'll really have the same problem regardless of the religion or topic really. I think it's just about a group of people having strong opinions and disagreeing that causes that feeling of your position on what ever topic being misrepresented to the public (which could be anything from politics to Star Wars). And I'll avoid ranting about the specific things that some Atheists do to piss me off since it's really unimportant to what I'm trying to say, but I have a long list of peeves.

The second thing I thought about was that these people who take things to the extreme with religion (WBC) or something else, are really just feeling the same emotion about people who accept homosexuals, for example. I'm sure they see other more moderate Christians as a misrepresentation of their beliefs.

Just a thought I figured I'd share.
On a side note, the best thing you can really do to help the "name" of your religion is to just explain it in a clear way to people who ask, and try to be a good person.