View Single Post
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: Religion Controls? - September 10th 2013, 10:03 AM

Was religion created for control? No. Is it used as such? Yes. I fully respect the millions of people out there who believe in their god, pray to him, and love a good and peaceful life without interfering with others or trying to "save" them. It's the others I disagree with. Prime example: Ever since I was young enough to understand God = good, you be good and follow his rules = god loves you, the idea that some almighty being (catholic god) watches your every move 24/7 has been reinforced in my head. Look at the traditional Ash Wednesday gospel (Matthew 6:4) "Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
Telling a child that some magic, holy, being can see EVERYTHING they do (much like Santa "seeing you while you're sleeping") is a terrible thing to do. That child will have no privacy and be afraid to so much as breathe the wrong way in case God doesn't like it. That is how religion is used for control. Certainly in young and vulnerable children. It does a lot of damage psychologically and it's dangerous to mess with a kid's head like that.
So yes, religion can, and is, used for control, but not by everyone.

I hope that made sense. I'm quite passionate about this idea.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.