View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Foreign Language Dilemma- What About College? - September 24th 2013, 03:58 PM

Something else you might want to look in to is fulfilling your foreign language requirement by enrolling in a community college course (you could do this during the school year or over the summer). If you're interested in this option, I strongly suggest you meet with your school's academic advisor AND the community college's academic advisor. The nice thing about taking a community college course is that you may get an actual teacher (vs. a computer). It will also give you a (small) taste of what it's like to be a college student. You need to be proactive, though, because it's easy to tell yourself, "I'm too busy this semester, I'll take the course next semester," only to find out later on that the course is only offered once per year. Also, just because a course is offered doesn't mean there will be room for you to enroll in it.

As the other members have said, many colleges require at least two years of the same foreign language. I ended up taking Spanish for three years. I didn't like it, but I knew it would make my applications more competitive. Sometimes, you need to bite the bullet and do whatever will increase your chances of getting into the university you want to attend.