View Single Post
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46 Points: 106,670, Level: 46

Re: How to tell a loved one about your self harm - September 27th 2013, 01:45 AM

I really like this article, and I think it could be very useful. However, I think it could be extended in places, namely:

Paragraph two: figuring out what to say. Maybe here you could mention that it's important to find a balance between being clear enough to allow the loved one to understand, and bombarding them with information. So you could talk about how to make sure you're honest but not overwhelming.

Paragraph two: face-to-face. Maybe here you could add a note about making sure it's at a good time, giving the person time to process and respond, and even how to prepare yourself for this kind of face-to-face reveal.

Paragraph three: keeping calm. Could you possibly add something about how to do that? You could elaborate on how to stop your loved one's reactions affecting you too negatively, and how to keep your cool even if they're not doing the same.

Paragraph four: blame. This isn't essential, but I think it could be good to just make a quick note here about how even if someone's actions/words trigger you, it's your decision to hurt yourself, so you shouldn't blame them anyway. Or something.

Paragraph six: this one just seems a little short, so perhaps you could extend it somehow or add it onto another paragraph.

As I said, overall I like it, and these are just suggestions you're free to take or leave as you please. Thanks for the hard work and quick edits; we should have this ready by October if we keep at it.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."