View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: My self-harm - November 3rd 2013, 09:18 AM

Hey Owl

Thanks for sharing with us. That's a really important first step to take, I know it must have been difficult.

Self harm is always a concern, more because of what's causing it than the actual harm. Although, as Dez said, there are always risks in the harm itself. But the real thing that is of concern is what is behind, that you're not dealing with. (In your case the possible depression?).

I know it is terribly difficult to talk to people, particularly in person. As Dez suggested (coz Dez knows her stuff) - try writing stuff down. Sometimes it can help to keep a journal (paper or electronic), or write a letter/email to people.

You're at uni, which means there will be staff on your campus who will be able and willing to help you. Might be called student services, or student support, or something like that (depends on where you're going), but generally they offer some free crisis counselling as a start. Otherwise, I can suggest some places you can call for immediate help if you feel the urge to harm again.

As for the depression. None of us can make a diagnosis, because we're not medical professionals. However, given your age, depression is best treated by therapy such as CBT. Basically, antidepressant drugs are generally a bad idea, as they can lead to suicidal thoughts and some other problems. But for you, counselling will probably be the best path forward as it sounds like you've got a fair few concerns.

Another place you can go is E-Couch. It's an Aussie-based website, that helps develop your skills and attitudes (based on CBT techniques).

Keep on talking Owl, we're all here to help

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.