View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Gingerbread Latte Offline
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Volunteering, Anxiety, Stressed. Help? - November 15th 2013, 07:15 PM

So today I had my first day at the local cat rescue centre. I was really worried that the cats weren't going to like me and they'd be all hissy at me...turns out that wasn't the thing to be worried about.

I got there and was told what to do and left to get on with cleaning a few of the pens out...but I still have a few questions which weren't covered in the initial explanation of what to do...so I kept asking questions when I needed to and I just felt like the guy was getting annoyed with me. Like sorry for asking questions for stuff I didn't know about :L

And then the other volunteers there. There were two high school students, must have been about 16 maybe and they were obviously already friends. It just reminded me of being back in high school again with all the bitching and laughing and mocking. I just knew they were saying things about me, laughing about me with each other. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but but it did. I just felt so small and old memories of high school where I was bullied a lot just got triggered

I was really looking forward to working here but now I just don't want to go back even though I put my name down for next Sunday already :/

I came back to my flat and just cried, I guess I'm thankful my boyfriend stayed over last night so he was there when I got back because otherwise I might have done something stupid :/

I'm not really sure what to do now. I'm doing something called the Principal's Award at university and part of that is doing at least 25 hours work experience over the year so I need some kind of work. My boyfriend said that I should try and find somewhere else if it's stressing me this much but I feel like this could happen everywhere I go...I'm scared I won't be able to cope with working ever :c

Should I just stick it out or should I leave and try and find somewhere else? I know at the end of the day it's my decision but hearing other people's opinions of what they'd do in this situation would help.