(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24

UK Teachers: Ban Homework For Kids Under 11 - April 9th 2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
(Newser) – A British teachers’ group thinks homework for children under 11 is a waste of time for all involved, the Telegraph reports. It can “damage parents and children's relationships when trying to get it all done, and ends in tears all round,” the Association of Teachers and Lecturers said. And homework can be seriously detrimental. “At this stage in their lives homework mitigates against children who already have difficulties,” such as single parent homes or disability.
Article

Having a younger sister who struggled, I can see their reasoning behind this. I've seen the fights that homework has caused between Jenna and my mother. It was impossible for her to do it alone, either. However, I think that the good could possibly out weigh the bad. You aren't going to be able to reinforce things like spelling without practice outside of the classroom. Review of the material each night is essential and will be practical for use in higher levels of education. You need to set the patterns while the person is young. I do think that kids should have homework, but it should be limited. It's hard though, because sometimes I don't understand my younger sister's math homework and I'm taking honors level of math. It's not concepts that I use daily, so I don't remember. I can only imagine what it is like for parents that do not use math on a daily basis at all. This is a blue collar area and I know a lot of people that can barely add in their heads.

--A