View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: How do I confess to my anti-drugs boyfriend....?? - February 24th 2014, 07:06 PM

There is no right or wrong way to think about drug use. People are allowed to have their own opinions on the subject, and unless they're affecting other people with their own beliefs, it shouldn't really matter.

I can understand where your boyfriend is coming from because I'm not a fan of drugs either. One of my ex-boyfriends had used drugs well before we started dating, and the idea of it still bothered me. I don't have a reason for this, but it's just the way I felt. My suggestion would be to talk to your boyfriend and ask him why he dislikes the idea of you doing drugs so much. For some people, their reasons behind this opinion is more than warranted - i.e., perhaps they had a family member with a drug addiction, or maybe he's worried that drugs will change you as a person, etc. I'd definitely recommend why he feels so strongly against you doing drugs, and go from there.

I know it might be difficult because you don't share the same opinions on the subject, but try to understand where he's coming from - especially if he has a really personal reason for disliking drug use. If you're serious about trying to make the relationship work, this communication is essential. It might be tough to talk about this right now, but give both of your emotions time to settle down, and then have a mature conversation about it. It is imperative that you both consider the other's opinion, or else talking will be futile.

However, at the end of the day, sometimes, people are just too different. While this might not be an issue in someone else's relationship, it could very well be an issue in yours. Ask yourself: if your drug use could potentially end your relationship, would you continue to do them? And, no, I'm not asking you to change for your boyfriend or anything, because I feel strongly that an individual should maintain their independence during a relationship. However, if this is the case, then maybe you two aren't compatible as a couple - and there's nothing wrong with that. Neither of you are wrong, but your opinions are different and neither of you should have to compromise your beliefs.

That being said, if your relationship is very important to you, I'd try to find a way to compromise. Firstly, talk to your boyfriend and find out his reasoning behind this opinion. Then, go from there. I wouldn't recommend pressing the issue right away; wait until things cool down a bit, and then see if you can sit down and have a conversation together.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.