View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: How can I persuade my parents to stop forcing me to take a certain type of pill everyday? - March 3rd 2014, 05:08 AM

Have your parents begun giving you this medicine after taking you to see a doctor? If not, then I recommend that you talk to them. Be reasonable and calm. Acknowledge that you do need help, or at least you did at the time, but point out that a qualified professional will be better equipped to prescribe the right medication for you. Giving you medicine that was not prescribed by a doctor, especially for mental health reasons, can be harmful for you and carry health risks of its own.

If you did see a doctor and your parents are forcing you to take something prescribed by that doctor, and you no longer feel like you need it, then I think you could talk to them calmly and suggest checking up with your doctor about whether you still need to take it. Sometimes people are struggling for a while and then get better enough that they no longer need medicine or the dosage needs to be adjusted (which may be the case if it's keeping you awake until late). I absolutely recommend trying to make helpful suggestions too, like seeing a talk therapist or counsellor (a lot of young people benefit from this, since it helps you cope with things and gives you a good outlet to deal with issues) or getting a second opinion.

Either way, remember that it's only normal that your parents freaked out. They're likely to be concerned about your safety and also worried about doing their job as parents. Showing them that they can trust you and that you do want to get better, and then explaining to them better ways in which to help, can make a lot of difference.