View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
kissmylovelybones Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,810, Level: 11 Points: 5,810, Level: 11 Points: 5,810, Level: 11

How do I tell my teacher about my self-harm? - March 11th 2014, 07:01 PM

Ive been self harming for awhile now, and I want to tell one of my teachers because Ive really started to trust him (Ive had him for the past 3 years for math). Ive been feeling really depressed and Ive started having anxiety attacks, or what I think are anxiety attacks (racing heart, shakiness,weird feeling in stomach, crying) and Ive just been miserable. I just feel like telling someone would make me feel better, and talking about it with someone could help me a little bit, knowing i have someone to turn to if I really need to. I just don't want my parents to know. I know it would probably be a smart idea, but I can't tell them, I just cant (it's a long story). Is there any way a teacher would be able to keep it between just him and me? Im 16 if that makes any difference...Ive tried talking to a school counselor (I didnt tell her I self harmed, but I told her I was feeling depressed). It didn't help much though, because I dont like opening up to people or talking about my feelings unless I trust the person (which is why I want to tell my teacher), so our conversations always caused me to feel anxious and nervous, which was exactly the opposite of what was supposed to happen. I stopped going to her after awhile, and ive tried just dealing with it on my own, but that's not going very well.
If I do make up my mind to tell him, how should i start the conversation? How do I make him keep it between just him and me?
Thank you for reading all of this, and thanks in advance for the advice<33.