View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: URGENT: How do I approach my friend's dad TOMORROW? - March 21st 2014, 05:57 PM

Hey there

For how to start talking, my suggestion would be to make up a list of things that you'd want to talk about and then cross out those with which you wouldn't want to start. Hopefully this will help you to select an issue with which you can begin talking.

Since this is the first time you are going to open up to someone, I think that the most important thing would be to take a step forward and talk about at least one or two issues, no matter how trivial. It will help build trust like Serena mentioned and also when you walk out of her house, you will have a little sense of satisfaction that you managed to talk about a few things.

Talking can be scary as shit, so don't expect yourself to come out with everything at once, go easy on yourself and try to take little steps. Trying to cross the whole bridge at once will only overwhelm you. Take it easy, one step at a time and congratulate yourself on every single step forward that you take.

As for your voice shaking and eye contact, what usually helps me is that I request my counsellor if we can both look away from each other. I don't like it if she is looking at me and I just find something nice in the room to look at whilst talking. :P

To thank her dad, you can do something like take some muffins or anything else you find relevant. It might make the situation a little less tense for you and you know what they say, actions speak louder than words. If you like cooking, spending some time baking cookies or something before you go might also help you.

All the best!
Do keep us updated on how it goes. It is really great that you are trying to open up.

My PM is always open for you!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.