View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: updates on college deciding process... - April 1st 2014, 08:47 PM

You're right: this needs to be a decision that you make on your own. It's going to be very tough to make the decision, indeed, but the decision needs to come from you.

Looking at what you've said, I think that you should stay where you are. Sure, the other stresses are going to come, but you may be better equipped to deal with those stresses if you're happier.

Going to a two-year college and taking only a couple of courses is definitely going to make it harder to befriend other students. So, my advice is to get involved with your college. This is the perfect time to participate in all that your college has to offer; take advantage of these opportunities, because they won't be around once you graduate. With this type of involvement, friendships will certainly come. Joining a club that interests you, for example, will introduce you to people who share at least one similar interest. There are things for every student on the vast majority of college campuses - trust me.

At the end of the day, you need to do what you feel is best for you. If you want to pursue something artistic in the future, California is a great place to be - and that involves going to college in California as well. I've always been told that it would be ideal to go to college in the area that you want to live/work in once you graduate college and start your career. This will put you geographically closer to a lot of networks in the artistic industry, and your college is more likely to have their own connections to this industry as well. It's a phenomenal resource to have.

You will encounter stresses every where, surely, but you'll learn how to deal with them. It seems like you are happier with where you currently live, even though everything might not be perfect. Additionally, I think young people have a lot to gain from moving out on their own, far away from what's most comfortable to them. This provides the opportunity to really grow and develop as an individual; an experience that can't be obtained any other way.

Think about it, make your decision, and don't look back.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.