View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: Not wanting to go to college - April 6th 2014, 06:56 PM

"Sex, lots of drinking, and the occasional days of studying". This description is wrong for the vast majority of college students. Sure, this sums up college life for some, but, by no means, does it sum up the experience of the majority. In fact, this doesn't sum up the experience of the vast majority of people that I know; MAYBE one or two - out of almost a thousand people that I've met in college.

College isn't what you see on television and in movies. You need to go to class and work hard. Sure, there will be parties around, but you definitely don't have to go to any of them. I often can't attend many of them because I have other commitments and school is extremely busy for me. There are a lot of other things that you can do in college to create a social life, i.e., getting involved with extra-curricular activities around the college.

With regards to not knowing what you want to do, that's understandable. Although, I'd bet that the vast majority of students enter college having no idea about what they want to study. I'm in my third year, and I have a lot of friends who still don't know what they want to do. Personally, I'm torn between two fields, so even I don't know what I definitely want to do once graduation comes.

The thing about college is that - not knowing exactly what you want to do is okay. You spend your first year of college exploring your interests. I came into college thinking I wanted to study neuroscience and philosophy, and now I'm enroute to graduating with a business degree and attending law school post-graduation. Your interests will change, but in order for this to happen, you need to give them the opportunity to change. Go into college, take courses that interest you, and go from there. Don't stress so much about not knowing what you want to do; this comes with time, and you can't plan this type of thing out. Just go with the flow.

I can guarantee that you will find other students who share your sentiments about partying 24/7. I promise you that no school is 24/7 sex and partying. There will always be students who engage in this behaviour, and that's their choice. But like I said, the vast majority don't. The vast majority are in college to study, work hard, get good grades, and eventually, have a good future. I am confident that you will find people who are similar to you in this regard.

College is a phenomenal experience; it allows you to grow and develop as an individual. During college, you'll find out who you are and what you want out of life. Even if you don't find out exactly who you are and what you want, you'll certainly have a better idea.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.