View Single Post
  (#58 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: My Rant About Science vs. Religion - April 12th 2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee View Post
Point taken. Now that we've established that neither of us intends offence, I'm game to move on.

I don't think your views about religion and its validity or place in society are irrelevant to this thread. How can you be objective about your opinion on a subject? I gave my opinion about the interaction between science and religion. It is appropriate for you to give yours. In order to have a more intelligent and efficient debate, it's useful for me to consider information I have learned about you in other contexts, no?
The objective part I meant was in analyzing other people's posts. Obviously I cannot objectively give my opinion.

Using other contexts is good and bad, I think the bad outweighs the good. You outlined a key point of the good, however, the bad includes being biased if I have something you don't like, you may (sub)consciously associate that with me. Also, you may introduce irrelevant or point to other threads that are irrelevant. Also, I could be joking or being more of a jerk in another thread, or being sarcastic and via only text, that can be ambiguous, thus, you could perceive it as "oh, he is against/for _____ because ______" when it's really a joke or sarcasm on my part. This is one reason why when posting, I tend to ignore the name of the user. Unless you can guauntee me but more importantly yourself that you won't be biased, then go for it. No human, you included, can, hence, the bad outweighs the good. But, if you wish to do so anyways, then go right ahead, however, just note that the same will not be done to you.