Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Few questions about religion. - May 15th 2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Can you prove that you exist? Yes, of course you can. You merely use your senses to determine that you can see, hear, feel, smell, taste and you have emotions as well. All of this is a part of your existence.
Not really. That would simply be using observation to collect a significant amount of evidence that we exist. Proof is mathematical (for instance, I can prove Pythagoras' Theorem, I cannot prove the theory of gravity).

Quote:
But this is not how we perceive God in Islam. We can look to the things that He has created and the way that He cares for things and sustains us, to know that there is no doubt of His existence.
Would you mind recapping the bit about "no doubt of Allah's existence" with the knowledge that not everyone on the planet is a Muslim, and I seriously doubt the existence of Allah?
Also, Earth is pretty lovely and everything, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's being used to sustain everyone. Could you really argue that it is?

Quote:
Think about this the next time that you are looking up at the moon or the stars on a clear night; could you drop a drinking glass on the sidewalk and expect that it would hit the ground and on impact it would not shatter, but it would divide up into little small drinking glasses, with iced tea in them? Of course not.
...although if you did, I would be less sceptical of the existence of a God.

Quote:
And then consider if a tornado came through a junkyard and tore through the old cars; would it leave behind a nice new Mercedes with the engine running and no parts left around? Naturally not.
Oooooold argument. This one has been used and refuted to death. Its major flaw is that no-one has ever suggested that an act of nature might create something designed for a specific purpose, like a car.

Quote:
Can a fast food restaurant operate itself without any people there? That's crazy for anyone to even think about.

After considering all of the above, how could we look to the universe above us through a telescope or observe the molecules in a microscope and then think that all of this came about as a result of a "big bang" or some "accident?"
Well, there would be the scientific evidence, and since you're all for observation (even to the point of saying it proves things without doubt), that might be something you'd be interested in. Here, take a look at a bit of the evidence, explained in the easiest way possible. "The Big Bang" theory may not be perfect, but the point is that it's being worked on and refined as we type. And the substantial scientific consensus and pile of evidence supporting it (red shift evidences a moving universe, CBMR shows residual energy from the "big bang" point, etc.).

Incidentally, as nice as the Moon also is, you're saying "look at the moon" and then talk about the universe. Our universe is vast. Bigger than we can see, far bigger, and the light has had almost 14bn years to get here. Considering how utterly insignificant we as a species, infact even our galaxy (within which are thousands of solar systems, all with planets, possibly even more life) is, do you really think it could possibly all have been designed for us? It could, I admit, but I find that unlikely, and a highly unnecessary invention. I've lived believing religious explanations, and I've lived understanding scientific explanations, and trust me - science makes more sense, has more purpose, and ultimately is far more believable (even if, I'm afraid, it can't give you all the answers).

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."