View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59

Re: Best friend turned lesbian girlfriend, scared about telling her parents - August 6th 2014, 10:51 PM

Hey,

Some people are more or less comfortable with being open about their relationships, and sometimes people just don't feel as if they are ready to come out at that moment. Whether she determines she actually is straight or not, I think this is a very confusing time for her and I don't think she was using you.

Since you are going to be moving in together and you are still confused, maybe you should have one final talk with her. Let her know you respect the fact that she wants to take the relationship slow and you are more than willing to do that, but you are confused about what it means that she isn't ready to tell anyone yet, and about what it means for the relationship. Maybe she can give you some form of reassurance about where things are going and why she isn't ready to tell anyone just yet. Let her know that you are supportive of her decisions, though, and aren't trying to force her to move faster than what she wants to.

I don't think she's necessarily saying you aren't worth fighting for, though. Coming out in a same-sex relationship can be scary, and she may truly be fearful of the reactions, even though people may be accepting of her.

Try to get a feel for the relationship, though. It's only been exclusive for about a month, though, so maybe both of you need some time to see how you two will work. I'm not saying to wait around forever, but maybe both of you will be more at ease with a bit more time, and she may be more willing to come out.

How long you want to wait for her to decide where to go is up to you, though. If you have had too much of it or don't find it worth it to wait, it is okay to end the relationship. You don't have to wait forever, but maybe give it time to see how the relationship pans out. It IS only the first month of you being official, so maybe that makes her more nervous to introduce you to others?

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive