View Single Post
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
ElsatheDepressionSlayer Offline
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: My girlfriend self harms - September 13th 2014, 08:39 PM

I don't have a lot of time to respond to everything you said here. But there is one thing that bugged me and I feel like I have to say something. Anti-depressants are NOT personality changers. Yes, there are some psychoactive drugs that mess with personality, but anti-depressants don't do that. I've been on Wellbutrin for a year and a half now, and I've had absolutely no side effects. Not everyone will be lucky enough to find a medication that works really well with no negative effects. But I can assure you that anti-depressants don't change your personality, and you will not "lose" your girlfriend if she goes on them (which I personally think she should). Also, there are so many different options for treating depression that if she starts a medication that has too many side effects, she can get switched to a different med and find one that helps without hurting.

Other than that, I want to say you sound like a very supportive person. Just make sure you take care of yourself as well. I was once in a similar position as you, and my close friend's issues nearly destroyed me as well. Obviously seeing someone you care about in so much pain is going to hurt regardless, but there's a difference between experiencing that pain and being consumed by it. Take good care of yourself. (Obviously that's important for you, but also you'll be able to care for your girlfriend better if you're mentally healthy yourself.)