Thread: anxiety at uni
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: anxiety at uni - October 22nd 2014, 12:19 AM

Hey.

I had a similar situation at the start of this year - I didn't get along with most of the people I shared a house with, and they were all very loud and kept irregular hours, which was bunches of fun for me. What I found helpful was to get out of the house as often as possible. I'd take day trips to another town, or go for walks out in the bush, or even just sit outside in the sun and read a book. I'm not sure where your accommodation is or what's nearby, but maybe you could find some hangouts in the area so you don't spend as much time in your room.

With your friends, even if you can't see them all that often, are there other ways you can communicate with them? Maybe you could have regular phone calls, or even use something like Skype so you can video chat with them? That way you won't feel so lonely, and you can be in your room without being so stressed. Like Holly said, extracurricular activities are good too, even if they're not related to the university - you could volunteer somewhere, for example. The less you're in your flat, the less likely you are to let your flatmates bother you.

While you're in your room, it could also help to keep busy. Maybe you could play music so that you can't really hear your flatmates and their friends. When I feel anxious I usually turn to something that requires a lot of energy and/or concentration, such as writing, exercising, or even doing coursework. Maybe something like that can work for you? If you let give yourself something to think about other than anxiety and other worrying subjects, then you're going to end up feeling less stressed overall.

I hope this helped a bit, and good luck!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."