View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13

Re: anxiety at uni - October 24th 2014, 06:23 PM

Oh, that sounds unpleasant.

Okay, so, you asked what you can do.

I'd say that it might be worth moving on, but you may want to think about how it's likely to pan out if you do. You mentioned a history of liking to be on your own. I can very much relate to this. I also hear you when you say this seems to be changing.

Is it possible that you're feeling that you want to be more sociable because you can hear your flatmates being sociable and you're very aware that you're not a part of it? Could it be that you're pining after something that's not yours (those fun times they're having in the kitchen) and that's what's driving you to feel lonely? My point is, could it be that if you weren't hearing that, would you be likely to go back to feeling content by yourself?

I know I feel lonelier when I hear other people having fun. When I'm by myself, on the other hand, I enjoy the solitude.

On a similar note, how much social contact did you used to have with your friends before you started at uni? Was it the same as you're having now (a couple of times per week) or was it more, or less? It may be that that amount is enough for you and that the loneliness you're feeling has more to do with hearing the fun that you're not a part of.

I'm reluctant to suggest trying to get into the group in the kitchen, but would be interested to hear more about your thoughts on that.