View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: anxiety at uni - October 24th 2014, 07:05 PM

Uni was unexpectedly lonely for me, too. Everyone says you meet friends for life at uni, and I couldn't even see where they were coming from.
I don't stay in halls anymore as I had a taster session and I didn't take to it so I'm in private renting now, which can be extra lonely at times as I don't get on with my flatmates here either. Chess told you my favorite thing to do: go out, explore. Don't stay locked in, take yourself and a book or laptop or even just music out. Go somewhere where there's people, like a coffee shop, or just go on a really long bus ride and see where you end up. Message your friends, even when you're not actually seeing them. As for making friends at uni, apparently societies are really good for that kind of thing. Sporting clubs, for example, or volunteering somewhere (also looks good on your CV). Heck, even getting a job helps you meet people. I for one thought making friends at uni would be so much easier than it actually is. It's probably because there's so many people.

I know you might not get on with your flatmates, but give it a few weeks and see if you warm to them at all. If not, you could see if anyone in your uni is advertising a room switch and see if you get on with those guys. But even though I don't get on with my flatmates, I sometimes force myself to spend a little bit of time with them, because it's social interaction, at the end of the day

It'll get better, promise. And a lot of people will be in a similar situation. Uni is new, and daunting and at times you can feel quite anonymous which can be a big change. But I assume we'll eventually adapt :P give me a message anytime, I'll be your uni friend!

Good luck! <3

Take as long as you need.