View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: How do I tell my parents that I think I'm depressed? - November 5th 2014, 03:03 AM

Hey there! Getting help is one of the first steps of recovery, so I'm glad that you're reaching out for help here, and wanting to reach out to your parents.

I highly doubt that your parents will be disappointed in you. They might be upset, but that is most likely because they hate seeing you in pain, but I can promise you that they do care. After all, they're your parents. Depression, at least for me, made me think that my parents wouldn't understand and that they'd hate me for telling them, and I think that happens to a lot of people. The great thing is that our parents often surprise us. They might take it really well and get you the help you need! I think one of the best things that you can do to help them understand is to print off some information about depression - what it is and how it makes you feel and how it can be treated. It might help them to already be armed with information about your condition before they dive into the treatment process with you.

I promise you that you can do this. Telling my parents was a huge burden off my shoulders - I didn't feel like I had to be secretive anymore. It can do the same for you. As far as self harming and doing drugs, try some of these alternatives (click here) when you get the urge to self harm. They may help distract you and get you through the urges.

Good luck telling your parents! Let us know how it goes.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.