View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Towers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,427, Level: 10 Points: 5,427, Level: 10 Points: 5,427, Level: 10

Starting college in the winter/spring...? - February 17th 2015, 08:15 PM

Hello all,

Basically, I can finish at my current college a semester early if I go full time this summer (12 credit hours), then finish in the fall. The only problem is I would have to use most of the college money I have left before needing a loan, because financial aid doesn't cover for the summer if you've already done full time in both the fall and winter of this year (which I did). So I was wondering if there was any real benefit to finishing up here a semester early then starting in the middle of the school year at a different college, or if I'm better off working two jobs in the summer and finishing/graduating at the "normal" time (end of winter/spring semester)? I'm willing to pay out of pocket for summer school, but I wasn't sure if even starting at a new college mid-year is even a good idea... or if I should still finish early and work all the way until I start at the new college in the fall.

I'm not sure if it's usually harder to start in the winter or not. I'll have a two hour commute minimum for one of my colleges of choice. Everywhere else I'd probably have to find a housing option. Is it harder to get classes in the middle of the year that I would need, do non-transfer students usually get higher registration priority, is it hard to find housing options mid-year as well, etc.? I do have an appointment with an advisor, but it's only for about 15 minutes. I just wanted a little insight before I go, so anything would be helpful.