View Single Post
  (#7951 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: Say something you wish you could say to their face. - March 10th 2015, 11:45 PM

What is your actual problem?

Look. I'm doing my thesis. I'm a final year student in a postgraduate course. Most normal people will understand that these words mean: I have a lot of college work.

December was a horrible month for me. It would have been hard enough to cope with college assignments even without coming in and working for you thirty hours a week. But I managed it. Even though I needed to get an extension on that one assignment, because you didn't give me that day off. I was a good, helpful employee. Remember New Year's Eve, when I travelled in and back for a total of almost three hours on the bus, and you sent me home after an hour of work? (Two eighty-minute long journeys = worth eight euro?) And then with no explanation you gave me no hours for the whole month of January, when I actually had some free time.

And now it's March, and I'm asking for a few days off so that I might get a chance to hand my thesis up in time. I shouldn't even be in work this weekend - I'm getting stressed thinking about it - but I didn't ask for it off. I JUST NEED NEXT WEEKEND OFF. And it's non-negotiable.

I paid ten thousand euro for my course and this assignment is technically part of my career. It's really not unreasonable to want to prioritise it over my part-time job. And it's extremely cheeky of you to not give me hours for THIRTY DAYS IN A ROW in January (even though I'm contracted for a minimum of ten, and I didn't kick up a fuss) and then be difficult about giving me a couple of days off now when I have a perfectly valid reason and anyone with common sense would understand I am not going to be focusing on fucking waitressing right now.

If you try to put me down for the days I requested off, I'm going to refuse to work. And if you throw a tantrum about that, it's really not my fucking problem. Grow the fuck up. Develop a bit of empathy. Realise how unprofessional it is to negotiate with me by proxy through my co-workers - could you not text me yourself like? And learn how to do a fucking roster, for fuck's sake.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.